Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 10:50 am 
Trail of the Lost. The Relentless Search to Bring Home the Missing Hikers of the Pacific Crest Trail. Authored by Andrea Lankford, a former NPS investigative ranger. She spent four years involved with various personnel searching for the three individuals that were lost and never found while hiking the PCT. One of them, Kris Fowler (Sherpa) was lost in WA. The other two in Southern California.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:11 am 
Ultra-Processed People The science behind food That Isn't Food Chris Van Tulleken Interesting book on ultra processed foods (UPF). How the procedure of refining ingredients is the cause of health issues. A bit stomach churning, but pretty much confirmed my thoughts toward ' convenience foods'. Not just snacks, but the whole industrial food chain. Whenever I talked about the 'food' I was eating,she corrected me: 'Most UPF is not food ,Chris. It's an industrially produced edible substance '. PS Just finished. More disgusting than I realized. If you read 1 book on nutrition this year. Choose this one.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Anne Elk, Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 23, 2023 1:42 pm 
^ I generally try to avoid ALL of the aisles in the middle of the supermarkets. If other people want to eat that garbage, I figure that's possibly fewer people I'll be standing behind in line. up.gif meant to mention this earlier... "A Sound Defense - Military Sites, Lighthouses, and Memorials of Puget Sounds" by Nancy McDaniel of Chimacum, Washington My mother and I went to a "craft fair" of sorts up at Discovery Bay, where we found the author peddling her works. This one is fascinating local history.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 11:12 pm 
https://www.fs.usda.gov/rm/pubs_series/rmrs/rp/rmrs_rp108.pdf

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 23, 2024 9:44 am 
The MANIAC, by Benjamin Labatut An examination of von Neumanns influence on mid 20 century Mathematics, Physics, Computers, AI, Philosophy, and History. von Neumann laid the mathematical basis for Quantum Mechanics, designed Atomic and Hydrogen bombs, and the first general purpose digital computers. His work is described by imagined statements by his contemporaries Turning, Feynman, Einstein, and others. The author also wrote, When We Cease to Understand the World.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

uww
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 5:28 pm 
"The Salt Path" by Raynor Winn.....a lovely book about folks who lose their home and then hike the 620 mile long trail around Cornwall England. She is a very descriptive writer and I'm well into her second book "The Wild Silence." up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 8:12 pm 
Network of lies Epic saga of Fox news.... Brian Stelter media insider wades through the Dominion vs Fox transcripts. Very illuminating. Murdoch says to Scott "Fox News and shows like Hannity should not champion public figures who appear mad". 2/5/21

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Snow_Knot
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 11:22 pm 
https://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Piece-Back-Steve-Smith/dp/0878421084
A must read if you are into Aviation, and Wildland FireFighting.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm 
The recent death of Lou Whittaker spurred my interest in reading his autobiography. Lou frames his love of the mountains with mountain adventures, rescues, and tragedies. We have lost a mentor who introduced thousands to the mountains through his guide services. You’ll certainly enjoy and maybe even be inspired by his book.

Krummholz
Outtamind, outtasite

Krummholz
Outtamind, outtasite
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 am 
"Edge of the Map" by Johanna Garton Mountaineers Books The story of Christine Boskoff who held the USA women's record for climbing the most 8000 meter peaks. She also owned Mountain Madness guide service in Seattle for a time. The story was especially interesting to me because both the author and the subject are from my hometown of Appleton, WI, where I grew up and recently moved back to, after 37 years in Western Washington. Search "Boskoff" on this site for more information.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 10:11 pm 
“The Company” - The Rise and fall of the Huidson’s Bay Empire. 2020 Stephen R Brown https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51114662-the-company Excellent! Very detailed history of the fur trade and British politics.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 2:09 am 
I got this complete set of the Lewis and Clark Journals as a gift a while back and I figured it would be pretty neat to read the journals every day and follow the expedition as it went along. Day by day.
I mean, how hard could it be to just read what they wrote. Capt Lewis and Capt Clark had to write every day with a quill and ink. Every day! If they couldn't make an actual journal entry that day they'd make notes and write the journal later. And they had to do it in the heat, cold, rain, and snow, with Grizzly Bears, Indians, hail storms, buffalo, etc. etc. Every day one Capt would write the journal entry and then the other Capt would copy it so there were always 2 copies. Their intention was to send a copy by ship when they reached the Pacific Ocean. But they never met a ship. The 2 entries are usually identical, but not always. On April 27th, 1806, Capt Lewis wrote the first one and Capt Clark copied it. Lewis wrote that a distance between hill and a river was 9 miles. Clark wrote that it was 10 miles. Clark also added that they traveled 31 miles that day. Clark was the map maker and these distances were important to him. Another examples of these minor differences: Lewis would say that hunters were sent out to get game. Clark would name the individual members that were sent out, and how successful they were. Sometimes the Capt writing the copy did something different that day, so the second copy had additions first copy didn't have. A few times the Captains were separated and kept separate journals. Then when they got back together they copied each others. Anyway, I tried to read the journals every day and I couldn't do it. Here's a sample of April 27th.
Here's a bit little of Lewis and Clark trivia. When the Corps of Discovery finally returned to St Louis in September 1806, they had used up just about everything they had brought. Their clothing had long since rotted away. They all wore elk hide. Clark had his slave, York make moccasins.
Quote:
the party has now got in all 338 pair of good Mockasons the most of them good Elk Skins Mockasons.
They were out of trading beads and other goods. What they did have left was paper and ink. And guns, gunpowder, and lead balls. They say they had enough paper, ink, guns, powder, and balls to do the whole expedition again. I guess they knew what was important. You can also read and research and Journals here. https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
mike

mike
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 am 
Somewhere between the "Definitive Journals" and the DeVoto I see on the shelf is the Hosmer edition. 2 vols brown cloth. See..

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:48 pm 
It's hard to get reading done with all these distractions.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 09, 2024 8:23 pm 
Matterhorn, by Christopher Reich combination of climbing and spy novel.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn