Forum Index > Trail Talk > This weekend at the middle fork - We activated our Garmin mini SOS for an unconscious hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostSun May 05, 2024 7:49 pm 
My wife and I decided to go backpacking this weekend up the middle fork. We had a pleasant Saturday with surprisingly no rain (!). On our way back we saw what initially looked like an abandoned backpack. But when we got closer we saw that it was a person, and his dog. The person was sitting hunched over, they looked like they were in distress. We started to approach but the persons dog, a large German shepherd, stood up and we had 2nd thoughts about approaching., So we called out, loudly, five or six times to the person but they did not stir. It was hard to tell if they were breathing or not. From where we were standing I thought I could see two cans of something next to the person. Like soda or beer cans. I couldn't tell which. We were afraid to get up-close due to the dog, and, out of concerns that the person might be drunk, and due to the unpredictability of someone who might be seriously drunk (drunk enough to be unconscious and not hear our calls) , so, we turned on the SOS on our Garmin mini and thought it best if we keep walking back to the trailhead (2.5 miles). We figured we would run into SAR on our way back and tell them why we SOS'd, fill them in on the details. Anyhow, we got all the way back to the trailhead before we started receiving messages on our Garmin. It turns-out that the coordinates we were transmitting were initially in error, and were closer to preacher Mtn. Probably because we weren't staying in one place. So, lesson learned there. But we were concerned that if we DID stay with the unconscious person, and if they were drunk, that they could get belligerent if they revived, and so we did not want to be there. Then, finally, at the trailhead we were having trouble texting with the Garmin (it was not linked to our phone), but a nice woman showed us the missing piece of how to get the messages sent. I had not yet thoroughly learned how to use the Garmins messaging features, and lucky for us this kind woman (thanks Annie!) showed us how. Lesson learned on the Garmin. SAR and the sheriff arrived, we told them where we had seen the person. By the time SAR crossed paths with the person (he had revived and was walking back to the trailhead) they walked right past him since he was obviously conscious-They didn't know he was the person in-question.. The sheriff then saw the man cross the middle fork bridge and called (sat phone) to the SAR crew that the man had arrived safely back to the trailhead. The sheriff told us that the guy stank of alcohol. So, this guy created all this drama. Getting us involved (Yes, it was our choice, but should we ignore an unresponsive human being sitting slumped over in a pile of rocks?), getting our emergency contacts involved and worried, getting the SAR people to race to the trailhead and up the trail, and the sheriffs office too. The Garmin mini works flawlessly! SAR is amazing The sheriff is amazing. The sheriff told us we did the right thing, to sound the alarm, to get everyone involved, but I have to say I feel angry that it was due to someone getting drunk to the point of unconsciousness on the trail.

Logbear, Now I Fly, Walkin' Fool, Lokicat, kiliki, KascadeFlat, ChinookPass, Tom, philfort
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:21 pm 
Sounds like you did a very reasonable thing. Car camping drunks being slightly common in a place like the midfork... on a sunday morning if i saw one close to the trailhead i might not call it in immediatly and wait till getting back to cell range, but calling it in immediately also seems reasonable. And where was this guys buddies? Leave no man behind!

Lokicat
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon May 06, 2024 8:11 am 
Scariest encounter I ever had in the "wilderness" was with an extremely intoxicated man with a head injury on Kahlalau Beach. Trying to do the right thing, help the guy, was a mistake. Would have much rather encountered a bear.

Lokicat
Lokicat

Lokicat
PostMon May 06, 2024 8:31 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Scariest encounter I ever had in the "wilderness" was with an extremely intoxicated man with a head injury on Kahlalau Beach. Trying to do the right thing, help the guy, was a mistake. Would have much rather encountered a bear.
Why was it a mistake? What happened?

Vertec

Vertec
PostMon May 13, 2024 7:44 pm 
Was the dog on a leash?

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -Winston Churchill
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue May 14, 2024 9:46 am 
pula58 wrote:
It turns-out that the coordinates we were transmitting were initially in error, and were closer to preacher Mtn.
The original Garmin inReach Mini only gets data from the USA satellite constellation. That device did not see enough satellites in order to produce better coordinates. Also this device does not display the accuracy value - otherwise you would have seen a very large accuracy value thus alerting you that the coordinates were not very accurate. Solution: Install the web app FindMeSAR on your phone. I am the dev. Edit: After you install FindMeSAR it will work offline using the cache API. To install it on iOS or Android, browse to https://findmesar.com, tap "Tips" and scroll down for the installation instructions. FindMeSAR is not in any app store. There is no tracking, no signup, no ads. It is also open source - use your browser to see the code. When the accuracy value is under 100 feet then a button will let you copy the coordinates and accuracy value to the clipboard. You can then paste that data into a text etc. FindMeSAR uses all the satellites your phone can see and always displays the accuracy value.

sooperfly  jaysway
pula58

pula58
PostTue May 14, 2024 10:10 am 
Vertec wrote:
Was the dog on a leash?
Yes, on a leash, but we couldn't see, from where we were standing, whether or not the person was holding the leash, or whether the leash was tied to a tree/rock, etc. So, we could not be sure if we came close whether or not the dog could attack us.

huron

huron
PostTue May 14, 2024 1:50 pm 
Sounds like you are posting here looking for affirmation that you did the right thing. If you were truly compassionate and concerned about a fellow human who may have needed aid, you would have approached close enough to confirm this and if so, stayed there until assistance arrived. The SAR dial and dash was passive-aggressive behavior. If you are freightened of animals and not capable to give help to others, you are therefore not capable to help yourself or your partners either. Get some training, knowledge and confidence before venturing out.

neek

neek
PostTue May 14, 2024 2:55 pm 
huron wrote:
Sounds like you are posting here looking for affirmation that you did the right thing. If you were truly compassionate and concerned about a fellow human who may have needed aid, you would have approached close enough to confirm this and if so, stayed there until assistance arrived. The SAR dial and dash was passive-aggressive behavior. If you are freightened of animals and not capable to give help to others, you are therefore not capable to help yourself or your partners either. Get some training, knowledge and confidence before venturing out.
Interesting take. Seems to me like he's simply sharing an experience. Hard to say what I would have done in that situation - a lot depends on details not included, like what the dog's body language indicated or what OP's defense tools/training were. An uncaring person would have just ignored the guy. Also I don't agree "you are therefore not capable to help yourself or your partners" - do you generally hike with alcoholic strangers who could turn violent at any second? (If so, we should team up!) I'm also having trouble understanding how it's passive-aggressive behavior. Note one definition of this term is "having a sarcastic or argumentative attitude".

Lokicat, fourteen410, MtnManic, catsp, Tom, Now I Fly
huron

huron
PostTue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm 
OP was not happy to have a hike interrupted by someone who seemed unsavory and frightening. OP did not get close enough to confirm that there was any kind of emergency, yet called the police on a person who was minding own business. OP then took off, leaving person out enjoying own day to be unexpectedly confronted by Sheriff. This behavior is passive-aggressive. I wouldn’t want anyone doing this to me. Would you? Reminds me of the time a family heading back to car at paradise was furious that I would endanger myself and perhaps those who might rescue me by starting up Rainier late in the afternoon because THEY KNEW that it was too late to start a hike. They threatened to call a ranger and it cost me 30 minutes of my carefully timed ascent schedule to avoid that.

Cyclopath
neek

neek
PostTue May 14, 2024 4:07 pm 
huron wrote:
OP was not happy to have a hike interrupted by someone who seemed unsavory and frightening
If I were forced to take issue with the post (which, luckily, I'm not!), that would be it exactly - blaming a personal choice on someone else's behavior.
huron wrote:
Would you?
If I ever get to that point, I'd just want someone to put me out of my misery. Seriously though, yeah, I think I'd be touched that someone cared at least that much, and also quite embarrassed about my behavior.
huron wrote:
Reminds me of the time a family heading back to car at paradise was furious that I would endanger myself and perhaps those who might rescue me by starting up Rainier late in the afternoon because THEY KNEW that it was too late to start a hike. They threatened to call a ranger and it cost me 30 minutes of my carefully timed ascent schedule to avoid that.
Yeah that's annoying, although IMO it's important to factor in intent when judging someone's behavior. Doesn't seem like a parallel situation though. In your example you are saying they should have left you alone; in OP's example you are saying a truly concerned person would have actively tried harder. But hey at least you got an amusing story out of it. Ideally, over time, the emotion surrounding these sorts of encounters fades, and all we're left with is good life lessons and/or stories for our kids.

Lokicat
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 14, 2024 4:27 pm 
TJ laughed when I said I don't like the MFK Snoq, but I'm feeling pretty vindicated right now.

Lokicat
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 14, 2024 8:57 pm 
You did the correct actions. Thank you for your concern for another person.

Art is an adventure.

car68, Lokicat
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue May 14, 2024 10:19 pm 
pula58 wrote:
Vertec wrote:
Was the dog on a leash?
Yes, on a leash, but we couldn't see, from where we were standing, whether or not the person was holding the leash, or whether the leash was tied to a tree/rock, etc. So, we could not be sure if we came close whether or not the dog could attack us.
Thanks for the information. Honestly sharing your experience is very helpful for others to learn from. Most people never encounter a real personal safety related "situation", so it's nearly impossible to know exactly how you will handle it if/when it comes to you. Anyone who believes they will know exactly what to do is just plain delusional. So, Monday morning quarterbacks handing out criticism can go **** themselves.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -Winston Churchill

Lokicat
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostWed May 15, 2024 6:14 am 
Maybe the guy was just napping, having consumed alcohol or not. I take naps out hiking sometimes, I hope no one calls SAR for my nap