Forum Index > Trail Talk > This crazy Spring Weather!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm 
Reports of up to 11 inches of new snow accumulation for the Cascades, directly followed by a 12,000-foot snow level. "TUESDAY...Mostly cloudy. Rain and snow likely in the morning, then a chance of rain and snow in the late morning and early afternoon. A slight chance of rain and snow late in the afternoon. Snow level near 3000 feet. Rainfall amounts a quarter to a half inch possible. Afternoon pass temperatures near 40. West wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. TUESDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy. A slight chance of rain and snow in the evening. Snow level near 3500 feet. Freezing level near 3500 feet after midnight. Northwest wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph. WEDNESDAY...Mostly sunny. Freezing level near 4000 feet increasing to 7000 feet in the afternoon. Afternoon pass temperatures near 50. West wind in the passes around 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Mostly clear. Freezing level near 9500 feet. West wind in the passes around 10 mph in the evening becoming light. THURSDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 11000 feet. THURSDAY NIGHT...Clear. Freezing level near 12500 feet. FRIDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 12500 feet. FRIDAY NIGHT...Clear. Freezing level near 12500 feet. SATURDAY...Sunny. Freezing level near 12000 feet." Sounds like a slop fest. Then again, if the new snow totals are minimal, and we still get the 3,000 ft forecasted freezing levels, there may be some fine early morning opportunities in the next few days. Either way, if we do hit 80 degrees in town, the remaining cornices could very well plop.
This car side cornice broke off Granite's WNW ridge a few days ago. Looks to have taken some of Aprils fresh snow with it becoming a D-2/3
Safe travels! Patience is a virtue. B

awilsondc, thunderhead, jaysway, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue May 07, 2024 5:39 am 
This is typical spring weather for Wa

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm 
Just received this statement from NWAC, Northwest Avalanche Center <info@nwac.us> Unsubscribe 11:34 AM (3 hours ago) to me Weekend Alert: Watch for Dangerous Avalanche Conditions It’s hot in the mountains! And we mean really hot! And, it’s only going to get hotter this weekend. Large natural avalanches already occurred this week, and demonstrate the snowpack is truly dangerous. With the increased heat, many more slides could be on the way. The weather is nice and the sun is out… what could possibly go wrong? Well, this isn’t your normal sunny weekend. This substantial warm up comes on the heels of weeks of unseasonably cool and snowy weather. Recent storms brought feet of snow to higher elevations, particularly the southern volcanoes. The sharp increase in temperatures, multiple nights above freezing, and the highest freezing levels this year could all lead to uniquely dangerous conditions. These kinds of big changes make us nervous. There’s a lot that could go wrong and it’s really hard to predict. There may not be obvious warning signs or clear observations until the avalanche is already happening. You could encounter wide wet slabs, gouging wet loose slides, collapsing cornices, and unpredictable glide avalanches. The most dangerous conditions will likely be in places that received the most recent snow, like Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, Mt Adams, and Mt Rainier. If you decide to venture into the mountains, traveling early can help reduce your risk, but won’t totally eliminate your risk. Flexibility and the willingness to turn around could be two of the best tools you can bring with you this weekend.

Anne Elk, thunderhead
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed May 15, 2024 10:04 pm