Forum Index > Photography Talk > Best Camera for Hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 07, 2024 9:41 am 
I prefer an android phone but have been using an I-phone for several years because a friend frequently gets a new one and gives-sells me his cheap, first a 6s and now an 8, which I like better because of the smaller size. Converting was annoying at first, but I like it now. I liked the older Samsungs because they accepted a micro SD card that I had music on, but the photo quality sucked. Tech wise, I am slow to evolve, I think it's dumb that newer vehicles don't have a CD player or even a port to plug in an MP3 or IPod, of which I have several.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 07, 2024 2:27 pm 
In terms of disposable cameras, you can buy used phones pretty cheap too, if that's your thing. One thing I like about phones is portability and speed. Can pull them out of the pocket and take a picture before you could activate the lens on a disposable camera. In that regard, on the pixel phones, there is an option to double click on the power button to activate the camera. Much faster than using fingerprint sensor which can be annoying, and then still needing to click on the camera app. Another nice thing about most flagship phones like the Pixel 7 Pro is they are waterproof. I've inadvertently dunked mine more than once in water while filtering (I have a bad habit of putting the phone in my top shirt pocket) and it survived no problem. I did crack the screen on mine last year (first time ever in years) and it was a costly replacement. I opted to replace the phone for ~$400 (after google trade in) vs. replacing the screen which was ~$300 and would lose waterproofing.

Opus, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed May 15, 2024 7:44 am 
Thanks for pointing out the double click, Tom! That's a nice pointer! I received my Pixel 7 Pro from Woot yesterday. Can't wait to play with it! Bit bummed it didn't come with a charging block. There'll be a learning curve. smile.gif