Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pacific Rim National Park, Wild Pacific Trail and Meares Island Big Tree Trail 5/6-5/7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed May 08, 2024 7:48 am 
I don’t have a bucket list, but if I did, this trip to Vancouver Island’s West Coast would be on it. After a ten hour journey by car and ferry, we arrived in Ucluelet, 45 minutes south of Tofino, where we received a proper introduction by blinding drizzle. Miraculously however, the next morning we were greeted by bright sunshine and a huge pair of eagles in a tall cedar nesting above our cabin. It has been pure bliss ever since. Here are a few pictures from the past couple of days. The Pacific Rim National Park Reserve between Tofino and Ucluelet.
Tuesday we took the water taxi from Tofino to Meares Island to walk on the Big Tree Trail Loop. Some of the oldest trees in Canada are here and despite trudging through mud and climbing over quite a few blowdowns, it was well worth it. Plus the water taxi ride was a blast!
We walked amongst these magnificent cedars and spruces completely awestruck. Words cannot adequately describe the experience.
The wind had picked up and it was a strong rip tide, so the ride back was a bit of an adventure!
We stopped by Long Beach in the Pacific Rim National Park Preserve to watch the surfers and it was amazing to see how they negotiated the wind and waves!
Our cabin was close to the Wild Pacific Trail in Ucluelet, so after dinner I walked up to the lighthouse. Not much of a sunset due to a fog bank, but the natural beauty of the coastline here is stunning and the trail has many viewpoints.
More adventures coming soon!

olderthanIusedtobe, ChinookPass, John Mac, reststep, rubywrangler, flatsqwerl, fourteen410, Waterman, jstern, contour5, jaysway, NWtrax, HitTheTrail, Prosit  awilsondc  Anne Elk, Get Out and Go, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed May 08, 2024 11:39 am 
The Wild Pacific Trail is very scenic. As is the whole Peninsula. We stay up across from Chesterman beach when visiting. Vancouver Island has many hidden gems to visit.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Nancyann
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed May 08, 2024 2:36 pm 
My wife and I spent several days of our honeymoon on Vancouver Island. Can't say we did much hiking though. Had other things on our minds. Thanks for the memories.

Nancyann
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed May 08, 2024 4:57 pm 
Wow, love those big cedars

Eric Eames

Nancyann
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu May 09, 2024 10:03 am 
Hit the Trail, what a beautiful destination for a honeymoon, happy to re-kindle treasured memories for you! R3H, Meares Island was at the top of my list to see and well worth the money for the boat ride, especially with the current value of the dollar. The island belongs to the local indigenous people and they very graciously do not charge for the visit. We chatted with two tribal members splitting wood for boardwalk planks and they enjoy sharing the big trees with the rest of the world.

NWtrax