Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > auto repair help
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue May 17, 2005 4:26 pm 
Got my stolen Honda Civic back but the nice young men that stole it jammed a key into the ignition switch to start it. I removed that key and mine still works but the switch won't return on its own from "start" to "run" position- the spring appears to be busted. So I have to manually turn the switch back a notch or the starter stays engaged. Is this something in the switch itself or the cylinder body??? Anybody have some knowledge on what needs to be replaced to remedy this? It looks to me from studying my service manual that replacing the key cylinder is the ticket. The steering wheel lock is busted too but I don't care about replacing it- they're easily defeated anyway. So I'd be happy just fixing the switch. The steps to doing this look like something I'm capable of- what repair places want is ridiculous. Thanks for any help with this or a link to a good auto repair forum, etc. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 17, 2005 10:32 pm 
so what else is damaged? I'm glad you got it back.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue May 17, 2005 10:51 pm 
That's it- got off lucky, thanks.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:42 pm 
That sux, you'll have to search on forums like this one to find answers like that: http://www.indybbs.net/civic/ I had my truck broken into a couple weekends ago where they tried to steal the stereo and they left my shifter to a point where I couldn't get it into park and I had to break off the shift-lock pin to get it back to "normal". Still have to replace a broken window which will cost a few $$$. According to the Sheriff's dept, a number of people in my apartment complex were broken into that same night, probably meth related. Good luck. shakehead.gif

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed May 18, 2005 12:16 am 
Thanks for that link Pepper. up.gif Yeah stealing stuff is one thing but damaging it another- that does suck. That's why I count myself lucky they didn't trash mine when they had the chance. The tow company that had impounded my car said many stolen vehicles are just used as taxis by kids wanting to get from one part of town to another. When I was their age I just called my mom -"come pick me up!" embarassedlaugh.gif

Don

Don
PostWed May 18, 2005 10:42 am 
Snowshoe, If it is simply a matter of the ignition mechanism not working properly, you are correct. Simply replace the igintion cylinder. The one's I have changed out have been pretty simple.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed May 18, 2005 12:52 pm 
I had a problem with my old truck. My keys got lost, so to the screw driver and hammer I went. Made it so you had to just push real hard on the steering wheel and it started. GENIUS I WAS!!!! Until I realized I had to take the steering wheel off to shut it off

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed May 18, 2005 1:07 pm 
Uh thanks for that helpful advice lagerman- you wouldn't make a very good car thief- find a good mentor. I don't want my car turning on and off when I make turns. rolleyes.gif Now Don, you I'll listen to, you offer real info, thank you! up.gif Maybe you know about this: I assume when I buy a replacement cylinder it comes keyed? Could I take it to a locksmith and have them re-key it to my old key? Worse comes to worse I could live with a key for the ignition and one for the door but kind of a pain. Thx, SH

Don

Don
PostWed May 18, 2005 1:26 pm 
Correct again. Included with your fabulous purchase of your band new shiny ignition cylinder will be two equally stunning new keys. The locksmith option you mentioned is also correct. As it was explained to me, you can take the brand new shiny ignition cylinder to a locksmith and have him/her adjust the tumblers to match your old bent and withering key. I'm not sure how much that would run you.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed May 18, 2005 1:42 pm 
Thanks very much for that info Don, appreciate it! smile.gif - SH

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 19, 2005 8:19 pm 
Call Click and Clack and see what they say.