Forum Index > Trip Reports > Echo Lake - Greenwater
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Old Whiner
blistRboy

Old Whiner
blistRboy
PostWed May 18, 2005 10:14 pm 
Walked along the Greenwater out to Echo Lake with a new hike pal. 14 miles round trip and 1760 gain, we got to know each other. Snow free the whole way. Muddy in spots. Trail maintenance is great. We met some of the equestrian club guys working. They built several very cush log bridges with great views to linger by. The trail passes lower and upper Green Lakes and a few seasonal tarns along the way. Echo is big and unmistakable when you get there. The forest was damp and lush but forecast rain never arrived. A spring collection of flowers, ferns, lichens, and mosses was totally distracting. First 3 miles went in four hours, we were "pacing" ourselves. We met a few parties, 2 young guys with rods and their dog staying over night at Lost Lake, a group of several hikers, and two horse riders. Groups headed to Echo turned around early, including the riders. When we got to the lake at 4 we were the only ones out there. Nice view of snowy Noble Nob framed an osprey carrying fish through the sky. Camp has logs near the lake for water-front dining. A box toilet is back aways in the forest. We were intrigued by the possiblity of a backpack loop past Noble Nob. Gathering clouds inspired us head back. 7 miles in 3.5 hours. We dawdled and enjoyed the forest and river. Every time twilight darkened the canyon we came around a ridge and gained more evening sun. We arrived at the car at dusk to find an elk grazing on new grass. She let us watch from 30 feet for quite awhile. Nice end to a lazy day on the trail. Forgot the camera - o well

hinkin, binkin, skinkin n stinkin! life's good!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dustin07

Dustin07
PostFri May 20, 2005 9:35 am 
WOW Being that this is one of my favorite hikes, i'm glad to see a report on it! so the lakes are finally thawed! i will soon be taking my tent!

Justan

Justan
PostFri May 20, 2005 10:04 am 
Cool! I went to Lost lake last fall and plan to do the Echo lake trip in a few weeks

-Justan Elk
Dustin07

Dustin07
PostWed May 25, 2005 11:03 am 
once you go to echo, you may never go back to lost wink.gif