Forum Index > Trip Reports > Commonweath basin/Red Mnt/ 5.28.5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSat May 28, 2005 9:16 pm 
Commonweath basin trail/P.C.T Exit 52 Alpine lakes Wildderness. 10 miles r.t- 2900' gain/loss. The trail first follows the P.C.T for about 2/2.5 miles,and on the way, it switchbacks gently though the trees, then continues onto an open slope, with giant boulders and a nice waterfall. If you Take the left fork at the junction,the path descends a bit to some small meadows, then goes steeply up a open forested rib, to Red pond and pass. The way is snow free, but there is some muddy sections on the lower part. There is some snow patchs around the basin, but Red pond is thawed out. The trail to the pass and to a lookout point,below Lundin Peak is snow free,and the route to the top of Red mountain is snow free. The key to a successful ascent of Red mountain is finding the boot path to the summit. As SOON as the trail crests the basin and levels out, proceed directly to your right and go uphill. Here you will find a boot path that ascends the south spur and avoids most of the loose,sloppy and steep south slope. This path stays left of the south east cliffs and leads to the summit. special care should be taken on this route with all the loose rock and exposure, helmets and small parties are recomended, and the reward is views of the Snoqualmie pass area. For a change of scenery on the way down, one can take the "old abandoned" trail, this goes alongside the Commonweath creek, and back to the parking lot.
Red.Lundin.Snoqualmie
Red.Lundin.Snoqualmie
Red mnt from commonweath basin
Red mnt from commonweath basin

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 28, 2005 9:50 pm 
Nice pics Hitchy. Not mush snow up there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSat May 28, 2005 9:55 pm 
Not much snow at all, the mountains are ready for wandering early this year! smile.gif Its getting me all frantic in my planning! I think the bugs will make up for the lack of snow though. frown.gif

Ebrace life!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 28, 2005 9:56 pm 
We've had that discussion. It is the general consensus that early melt off means no bugs in later summer.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSat May 28, 2005 10:01 pm 
God I hope so, I have already seen seven Ticks on my person this year,compared to seeing one near me in the last ten years! whats up with that?

Ebrace life!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 28, 2005 10:21 pm 
Dang, Ive never had to deal with one. Where were you when you got "ticked" off? Ha.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSat May 28, 2005 10:28 pm 
Hibox: 2 Crystal peak:2 Davis peak:2 The other Tick encounter is escaping me now doof.gif but anywho,at least the little- devilsmile.gif's did not have a chance to burrow in!

Ebrace life!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 28, 2005 10:41 pm 
Hey, I want to go hiking with you. I wont have to worry about them. They seem to like you. HA! winksmile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 29, 2005 7:23 am 
Never (fingers crossed) had a tick in my life, anywhere, no ticks or bug problems yet this year here, although black flies are a pain buzzing around only to become a quick trail snack. embarassedlaugh.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 29, 2005 7:25 am 
Hichen, is that pack a Golite, it looks like one, I have been eyeing several at Arlbergs. If it is, how does it carry ? hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSun May 29, 2005 9:50 am 
wildernessed: The pack is indeed a Golite 24 and it carries quite nicely, even loaded up with around 20 pounds. There is no shifting when you are walking or downclimbing rock, heather and that sort. I think the volume is about 1700 c.i but could even be more or less, perfect for most day hikes. Features: Large panal loading pocket with a bladder sleave and key clip. Two small zipper pockets on hip belt for small items and these can be accessed while wearing it. Two medium sized pockets on the side for cameras, ect... One large pocket on back, big enough to hold a helmet.

Ebrace life!