Forum Index > Trip Reports > May 28th, 2005 - Summit Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ahumblefool
Scouter Hiker

ahumblefool
Scouter Hiker
PostMon May 30, 2005 4:41 pm 
Okay, this is a trail report and my journal entry. Short side, it was great, trail was great, lake was beautiful, and contrary to what many probably thought, quiet. If you want more detail keep reading. I have pictures posted here. Started the drive up to the Carbon River Entrance of Mt Rainier National Park at about 11:45 am. Had myself, Traci, Raegan and Jared. A few friends tagged along, Janine and her son David, Jonathan and Conner. Crossing the Carbon River Gorge is spectacular as you look down from the bridge and see the river rushing through. A dark green canopy and a blue flowing mass of water, swiftly making its way to the sound. The forest road heading up to the trail head is pretty rough, if you are moving too fast, going to lose a muffler. When we arrived at the top and parked, the lady next too us asked if we had seen a muffler! AHA! I donned my backpack with the ten essentials, snacks for the kids, snacks for the kids, snacks for the kids, etc etc. This was Jared’s first hike wearing a backpack that I had added about 15 lbs of weight. Trail begins and immediate climb over crushed rocks to stop erosion, a very good place to snag a sprained ankle if you are not careful. The boys set pace as the ladies followed. Had to call them back several times so I could keep an eye on them. It is a quick ascent through the forest, and the smell of fresh air and pine was intoxicating. The wild flowers were out in force. Avalanche Lilies and Marsh Marigold’s covered the area while the last remaining Western Wake Robin’s (Trillium’s) held their heads high above. Redwood Violets filled in the blank spots as Sword Fern added to the spell. Crossed a stream that looked cool and refreshing. Had to stop and admire the moss growing on the rocks. Water cascaded over old timber, creating that hypnotizing sound that makes you just want to stop right there, find a tree to sit down and rest your back against and nap the rest of the day. Raegan asked questions about different flowers, stopping to admire, while Jared trudged along, and I am proud to say, had not complained yet about the weight. Raegan was also being quite the hiker, keeping pace with the rest of us and enjoying the views. Passed a field full of Marsh Marigold with the stream running through. (One aspect of hiking with children Raegan's age that is golden is rate of speed. You have to slow down so they do not tire. In doing this, you get to really view the surrounding area, plus the little beauties that she picks out!) First stop was Twin Lake, and to my surprise two large Brown Trout circling lazily next to the stream outlet. Where was my pole when I needed it? The kids were excited by this find, and if I had not pushed them on, Twin Lake would have met all their needs. Everyone wanted to know what the mountain was right in front of us, I told them Bearhead, and when they had gained a little more muscle mass, we would come back up and give it a go! ¼ mile from Twin we had to do the limbo under a falling log that blocked the trail. Raegan loved that as she laughed at her dad as he precariously balanced with his trek pole with the pack on my back. The next part was the most difficult for everyone, no switchbacks, just a straight climb. Switchbacks hide where you are at, never quite sure where the trail ends, straight shots wear kids down, as they can see they have a long way to go. Completing this portion we entered into a semi-open field with sparse views of Rainier peeking through the trees on the left. The field was covered with yellow flowers, Audubon calls them Yellow Fawn Lilies, PNW Plants called them Yellow Glacier Lilies. I simply called them astounding. Bear Grass covered the hillside, with the remnants of their blooms drying in the spring time sun. Raegan was determined to hold my hand through this area, even though the trail was only wide enough for one. Jared made his first complaint of the trip; his left ankle was beginning to get sore. Pulled off his shoe and found he was beginning to get a blister. Fixed that ASAP so he would not be in pain. Coming over the rise, Summit Lake greeted us with her clear blue shine. Everybody gasped, it really is so unexpected right there, and just beautiful. Walked down to the water and found an inviting beach. Kids took off their shoes and waded in the cool water. Conners, brave or foolhardy take your pick, jumped right in to the cold mountain water and took a swim. Raegan began to brave the water in bare feet when she gave out a loud piercing scream. For you fellow hikers who may have been there, it was not the howl of a Bigfoot, it was the screech of a four year old girl that had found a spider climbing up her leg. Now, try and remove so said spider when she is trying to crawl into your lap, while also having her legs tucked in at 90 degree angles, while also trying to keep her from falling into the lake! It was hold me time for the next 20 minutes. Jared decided he wanted to take a wade but I told him that no wet underwear was allowed. So behind a rock he went and stripped out of the shorts and placed his hiking shorts back on, Jared commando style! Had a wonderful hour sitting by the lake, watching the kids explore, listening to the birds, and when the kids were quiet the silence. The cliffs on the other side looked inviting for exploration, but that would have to wait until another time. Just can not get enough of that clean alpine smell. Headed back down the trail at about 4:30 pm. Made a quick stop on top of the ledge over looking the valley. (Found the perfect camping spot, we vowed to come back up before end of summer and spend the night.) Wow, what else can you say but wow. Miles and miles of forested mountains and craggy peaks. Looking down on the forest floor, you can see lakes spreading out. What an unbelievable site. Came across an interesting old tree trunk and a moss bed! Started down the trail, everyone happy. Kids were pretty tired so was able to hear the birds, one had a beautiful trill, need to find that bird so I can identify it. Stopped one more time to view the Glacier Lilies, found some Indian Hellebore just starting to come out of its winter slumber. Noticed quite a few Black Huckleberry bushes, bears or hikers are going to have a feast this year.Half way down the mountain Raegan asked if we could sing some camp songs. Sang our way down the trail to “On Top of Spaghetti”, “Ging Gang Gooli,” “Johnny Had a Ping Pong Head” and others. Jared and Raegan both made it up and down with no problems, I was just so very proud of each of them! Coming back down the road we were lucky to see three waterfalls, a patch of Miniature Lupine and a bright spot of Mountain Bluebells.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message