Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:20 pm 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/06/06/dolphin.learning.ap/index.html
Quote:
Researchers: Dolphins use sponges as tools Monday, June 6, 2005 Posted: 6:13 PM EDT (2213 GMT) WASHINGTON (AP) -- A group of dolphins living off the coast of Australia apparently teach their offspring to protect their snouts with sponges while foraging for food in the sea floor. Researchers say it appears to be a cultural behavior passed on from mother to daughter, a first for animals of this type, although such learning has been seen in other species… "Cultural evolution, including tool use, is not only found in humans and our closest relatives, the primates, but also in animals that are evolutionally quite distant from us. This convergent evolution is what is so fascinating," said Kruetzen...
up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ahumblefool
Scouter Hiker

ahumblefool
Scouter Hiker
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:31 pm 
The end is nigh! Run for the hills! lol.gif

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Jun 06, 2005 6:32 pm 
I'm waiting for somebody to chime in: if only their significant other would learn to use a sponge as a tool (to clean the kitchen).

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 7:27 am 
Opposable thumbs are as important as a big brain and cultural evolution. Where would homo sapiens be if we could only hold tools in our mouths?

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 10:36 am 
we would certainly live in smaller houses....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 pm 
Dante wrote:
Opposable thumbs are as important as a big brain and cultural evolution.
From “The Onion” wink.gif
Quote:
Dolphins Evolve Opposable Thumbs by Dan Guterman on 31 Aug 2000 Honolulu, Hawaii HONOLULU — In an announcement with grave implications for the primacy of the species of man, marine biologists at the Hawaii Oceanographic Institute reported Monday that dolphins, or family Delphinidae, have evolved opposable thumbs on their pectoral fins. "I believe I speak for the entire human race when I say, 'Holy shxx,'" said Oceanographic Institute director Dr. James Aoki, noting that the dolphin has a cranial capacity 40 percent greater than that of humans. "That's it for us monkeys." Aoki strongly urged humans, especially those living near the sea, to learn to communicate using a system of clicks and whistles in a frequency range of 4 to 150 kHz...
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~ap/news/technology4.html

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 2:14 pm 
Quote:
Researchers: Dolphins use sponges as tools
Quote:
Researchers say it appears to be a cultural behavior passed on from mother to daughter
See ladies. Its only natural evolution why we dont wash the dishes!! biggrin.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 2:48 pm 
Dante wrote:
Opposable thumbs are as important as a big brain and cultural evolution.
As dolphins have 40% greater cranial capacity than us opposable thumb bearers, and as we don’t understand the dolphins’ complex existence, is it possible opposable thumbs are simply our bias towards defining the highest complex existence? In other words, maybe dolphins are having one hell of a party — without any of the negative impact we have on the planet, I might add — and we just don’t get it. Doesn't that define the highest complex existence?

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 4:46 pm 
That's sort of the point I was trying to make (I think confused.gif ). When we think of "intelligent life" most of us think of machines or machine outputs (UFOs or radio waves) even though our machines are as much a result of our thumbs as our "intelligence"...