Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Harvesting Plants From National Forests
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 08, 2005 6:56 pm 
I thought I saw a pricelist on the MBSNF website a while ago for harvesting plants from the forest, but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know if this is legal, or is anyone familiar with this practice? The only thing I could find on the website was for cutting Christmas trees and firewood. I'm hoping to get a handful of ferns and a sapling or two.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSun May 08, 2005 7:23 pm 
I know you can order those types of stuff from the state for a cheap price, but I havent seen a harvesting one before.

Odonata

Odonata
PostSun May 08, 2005 9:13 pm 
I got curious and searched around too. It looks like we call anything harvested from public land that is not timber a "special forest product". this should help your searches. Here are a few links I found regarding the subject. Most of what I found deals with commercial harvesters: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/agib666/aib666.pdf http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr513/ http://www.dnr.wa.gov/base/permits.html There is no central place to obtain a permit as far as I could tell. They are issued by the local arms of the govt. Cheers ~Dave

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun May 08, 2005 9:58 pm 
MCaver---if you want western red cedar, alpine fir, grand fir, ponderosa pine, or even a mountain hemlock tree you could PM me as I have quite a few 1-3' specimens growing either wild or lined up in a nursery bed behind the shop. I have likely 300+ cedar trees. Likely only 20 alpine firs and less of the hemlocks...but could part with a couple. Douglas firs I'm short of at the moment as I just planted out the 10-15 I had last winter. Cedar trees are like weeds around my place--I actually pull hundreds of tiny 2-5" starts out like weeds in the landscaped areas every year. But the nicer ones I plant in a nursery bed and transplant to our forest or give out to locals once they are 2 years old and 2-3' tall.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Jun 18, 2005 10:08 pm 
I stopped by they Darrington Ranger Station to pick up a new forest pass today and asked about harvesting permits. Turns out they do exist. I didn't ask for too much of the details, but the Ranger said for $20 you can get a 2 week permit that allows you to harvest "several" of each species. Sounds like it might be the same permit used for Christmas trees. Alan: I must have missed your last post. I may take you up on that. up.gif