Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sauk River (N Fork), Pilot Ridge (07/03/05)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RH

RH
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 4:33 pm 
My wife and I did the Meander Meadows/Cady Ridge hike several weeks ago and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to do another hike in the area. I parked at the Sloan Creek TH and began the hike at 07:00. I had planned to do a counter-clockwise loop but changed my mind due to a low cloud cover. I figured I might as well stay in the valley and hope the clouds burned off before I got high. In the end I don’t think it mattered because it turned out to be a great day, with incredible views. There was a light breeze most of the day so mosquitoes were not a problem. I clearly understand what is meant by “high route” now. When I saw the sign “high route” to Blue Lake, I figured what the heck, it will save me a couple of miles. Man that trail was steep, I really felt sorry for people carrying backpacks up it. The only down side to the trip were all of the ups and downs of Pilot Ridge.
3 Finger-Whitehorse Mtn
3 Finger-Whitehorse Mtn
Whitehorse Mtn from White Pass
Whitehorse Mtn from White Pass
White Mtn - Glacier Peak
White Mtn - Glacier Peak
White River Valley
White River Valley
Glacier Peak from Pilot Ridge
Glacier Peak from Pilot Ridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 pm 
near as i can tell thats about 28 miles round trip, what time did you finish, and did you stop anywhere?

RH

RH
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 6:17 pm 
captain jack wrote:
near as i can tell thats about 28 miles round trip, what time did you finish, and did you stop anywhere?
GT says 29.3 miles, add 1.0 for zigging on Bald Eagle trail instead of zagging on Pilot Ridge trail. According to Suunto and my legs, the real killer was the elevation gain of 8104. Other than to pump water, the only stop was lunch on the pass above Blue Lake. Total time on trail was 13.5 hours.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 6:35 pm 
I found that loop to be quite enjoyable as a 3 day backpack. We had a sunset on Johnson Mt., a side trip up Kodak Peak, and a sunrise from White Mt. The whole 30 miles and over 8000' gained in one day? Congratulations to you but that's not a trip for me...

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 7:25 pm 
RH wrote:
captain jack wrote:
GT says 29.3 miles, add 1.0 for zigging on Bald Eagle trail instead of zagging on Pilot Ridge trail. According to Suunto and my legs, the real killer was the elevation gain of 8104. Other than to pump water, the only stop was lunch on the pass above Blue Lake. Total time on trail was 13.5 hours.
hairy.gif and this is fun? or are you on a mission?

ridgerunner

ridgerunner
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 8:54 pm 
sounds like a death march to me, awesome country though, I would want to spend some more time enjoying it though.