Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fifth of July Mountain (7-5-05)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Those avoiding this peak on July 5 for fear of meeting hordes of people need not worry, at least on a weekday. The route from the east from the end of the Entiat River Road was fun passing pretty Myrtle Lake and the unique Cow Creek Meadows. Cow Creek Meadows, where no cow has ever been, is a must see despite its name. It's as flat as they come, surrounded by vertical cliffs and has an impressive view of Fifth of July Mountain. Via moutain bike to Myrtle Lake took an hour, another hour on foot to Cow Creek Meadows, then two more to the summit, though I cut off the trail near the summit and scrambled up the East Face to make it more interesting. Julian Simon and I surprised each other on the summit though he came in via Basalt Ridge. I THOUGHT I might meet someone else on the peak considering the date. Descending the south ridge, I missed the trail so at the Pass, Julian suggested taking the gully straight down to Cow Creek Meadows. What a great decision that turned out to be saving a lot of time and adding some more neat cross country to the trip. Loops are always more interesting anyway. Leaving the summit around 12:30, I was back at Myrtle Lake at 2pm, after a quick side trip to a hugh rock with a great viewpoint looking down at the lake. Another must see. The 45 minutes out on bike was a breeze mostly coasting the entire way, arriving at the car at 2:45. With a side trip to Entiat and visiting the Ranger Station there, I was back home shortly after 7. The only drawback was rising at 2:45am to leave home at 3:30 for the four hour drive to the trailhead from Edmonds, but it's definitely worth it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:49 pm 
Took that route as an overnighter earlier this spring. Not because it's easier, but to add the experience of Cow Creek Meadows. It is truely a great destination, must be the size of 10 football fields, stream running through it and several spring fed ponds, huge open area surrounded by mountains and ridges up.gif . The scenery spectacular, the climb to 5th of July not to bad with hardened snow initially, later quite alot of postholing. Would make a good loop coming up camping in the meadow, then tagging the summits on the way back along The Garland Peak trail and down Sheptico Creek Trail or rampart Ridge.

Living in the Anthropocene
Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 2:32 pm 
Cow Creek Meadows
I thought at the time it'd be interesting to see Cow Creek Meadows with more snow. Not that they are any less interesting without snow.