Forum Index > Trail Talk > missing in OR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 7:19 am 
frown.gif I heard this on the news last night. they didn't have much info. this was on SP this morning. missing climber in OR

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 9:17 am 
frown.gif not good.. It really sucks to sit and worry..I dont think I could do it for days on end. I flipped out when my husband didnt come home from a hunting excursion in the morning like he told me. he was out after dark..and I had 5 people scouring the area for hours and called the sherrif. He snuck up on me in the dark and wondered what all the commotion was about...He thought someone was trying to steal the car. I made him call the sherriff to tell them what an a-hole he was...then he got the ass chewing of a lifetime in front of all his friends.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 am 
I sure hope he turns up... Good for you actionbetty! I wouldn't want to sit and worry through several hours of a "gray period." I'd want to be doing something. If I was the person stuck out in the woods, I'd also want an actionbetty doing something other than worrying. One downside of the solo understanding I have with Mrs jimmymac, is that I have to really stick with my exit time. I missed at least one summit last year because I didn't allow enough time, had no cell coverage, and checking in a few hours late is not an option with us. If I ever do get bogged down by a mishap, the idea is that my failure to check in will serve as an unmistakable signal. But it does make each trip's timeline a little less carefree.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 7:54 am 
I figured I would bump this up with a little more info. John is a well know climber from california. I know alot of you don't get down here much but someone(anyone some one visiting this board) might have been down there and seen him. Its very sad to hear that they have not found him yet. frown.gif more info

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 11:22 am 
That is truly saddening. The outcome on this is looking worse as the time passes. My thoughts go out to Him, his family and friends.

Ebrace life!
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 6:34 pm 
Quote:
They found our brother today, not SAR, but a friend who wouldn't give up searching when SAR did. He died on Mt. Mcloughlin from a head injury and possibly exposure. He was very experienced and on a routine day hike. Please be careful and always tell someone where you are going. We are very, very sad. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. The Zazzara family.
A sad day in Oregon all together my heart goes out to them they never gave up. frown.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 8:57 pm 
Very sad indeed. I am glad they found his body. frown.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 pm 
I know you all know he was found but here is the account from his climbing partner who found him. Very sad frown.gif It is a great friend who would do something of this magnitude. found

salish

salish
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 6:37 pm 
Tazz, that's a very touching story. Having been involved in a SAR that ended up finding the victim dead (a person I knew) I can sure identify with a lot of this guys emotions. In March of this year a guy I knew died while participating in his passion - bird dog training. It was at a bird dog training session on Ft. Lewis property and this old guy's German Shorthair was on point, and the old gentleman had a heart attack while walking out to his dog in the field. There was nothing anyone could do, and 911 was just too far away. CPR administered by those nearby just didn't work. So there we have this 73 year old retired Vice Admiral laying there staring at the sky with no life left in his body, and just moments earlier he was drinking his coffee and shooting the breeze. A truly nice guy, too. I'm rambling here, as usual, but I guess my point will be that both of these guys died doing what they loved the most, and I just don't think you can ask for more than that, the alternative being plugged into a zillion machines in some ICU staring at the overhead flourescent lights. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 8:55 pm 
Thankyou for sharing that Salish. I am very touched by this whole story but I am more touched by this mans experience looking for his best friend and climbing partner. It must have been so difficult, but easy at the same time. What I mean by easy is he knew what he had to do and had no second thoughts about it. That is an amazing friend to have looking out for ya. My hat goes off to the guy. I agree they passed doing what they love. You are right we certainly can't ask for more than that.

salish

salish
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:18 am 
Tazz & Mania wrote:
Thankyou for sharing that Salish. I am very touched by this whole story but I am more touched by this mans experience looking for his best friend and climbing partner. .
Very, very true. I've never been a climber but I can't imagine a tighter bond than two guys who learn to depend on each other for their very life. He was a true friend. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.