Forum Index > Trail Talk > Storing food at night?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 5:47 pm 
Depends where I am at, I have a canister I can use, but generally have been using multiple ziploc bags and place them inside a waterproof dry bag, the newer ones by sea to summit, I use to use OR advanced Hydroseal. I then just tie it one way over a high limb, but what you can do to deter rodents is use a plastic lid like that off a coffee can and put a cut halfway across the diameter, put a knot in the hanging rope a foot or so above the end where your bag is hanging, slide the disc over the rope. Varmits can't get around the disc with there paws or see the food from above and won't cross the disc. This works on rodents from above, However you still are taking your chance with bears, but a airtight sealed bag helps, the canister the best. Many NP require canisters despite hanging cable systems at designated campsites. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 5:47 pm 
greg wrote:
Usually a bear is best groomed in late fall just before winter. Spring and early summer bears are often pretty sketchy. This one must have been vain, or the forest groceries are good this year.
...or its found some other way to achieve that glistening look.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 6:50 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
...or its found some other way to achieve that glistening look.
Steven's Pass woman mauled by bear looking for styling gell. Story at 11. Skykomish hair salon raided by a bear. Witnesses say the bear was big and black. Details at 11.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 6:58 pm 
Bear raids Startup boutique... ...makes off with glycerin bath beads.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 pm 
Gapers see shiny-haired black bear right by side of road and try not to wreck the car while gaping. Film at eleven.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 7:14 pm 
Sultan hairstylist convicted of ursophilia. "His hair was so silky soft, I just couldn't stop." Details in tomorrow's paper.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 7:17 pm 
To avoid completely running away with this thread... I've used an Ursack for several years now (I'd have to stop and think to figure out how many years). I'm happy with it. When it finally goes to the great gear closet in the sky, I'll happily order another one.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm 
I'm surprised this bear-defaming drift hasn't shaken Rick out da bushes.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 8:29 am 
the solution is very easy....don't bring food with you. This shortens your stay in the back country and avoids those unpleasant trash piles out there too.

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Stuart

Stuart
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 7:36 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
what you can do to deter rodents is use a plastic lid like that off a coffee can and put a cut halfway across the diameter, put a knot in the hanging rope a foot or so above the end where your bag is hanging, slide the disc over the rope. Varmits can't get around the disc with there paws or see the food from above and won't cross the disc.
Nice tip. Havent seen that one before. up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 11:54 pm 
You might want to keep this in mind eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:37 am 
Lead Dog wrote:
If a area requires a bear canister then I go elsewere. The problems that are happining with Bears on the Elwah, Quinault, Ho, Olympics in greneral ect. are due to stupid dumb moon.gif people feeding them. Then they make the stupid mistake of telling a Ranger about it. So then one of 2 things happen. 1. They close the trail or stop overnite camping. Or 2. They require Bear canisters. So because of other peoples bad habits I have pay to rent a bear caninster after paying for a permit, Park entrance fee, and a daily hiking fee? You can have the Olympics and their fees and rules. I hiked it all anyway way before these regulations came into effect. Ive had bears come into my camp many times but they just wandered thru, my wife was with me one time when a huge Black Bear came into camp sat down and watched us eat dinner. Then walked off with no problem.
There are some inaccuracies here. Only the beaches require bear cannisters or other racoon-proof containers, most other trails have bear wires, making hanging your food quick, easy, free, and weightless for the hiker. The bears get food by stealing it from poorly stashed food, not from people deliberately feeding them like they were pets. They don't close trails, unless there have been multiple attacks, just prohibit overnight camping on a few short stretches, and that mainly just on the Elwha. Also there is no such thing as a "daily hiking fee" which is mentioned as being in addition to park entrance fee and overnight permit fee. Also the bear cannisters are now loaned for free.