Forum Index > Trail Talk > heliotrope vs. ptarmigan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sospeso

sospeso
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:34 am 
Hello all, I've been a long time lurker to the board but this is my first post. While in Seattle (I was born and raised there and return frequently from NY to visit family) for vacation, I've been trying to squeeze in 6 months of hi(n)king in about 3 three days. I have one day in the Mt. Baker area and I'm currently deciding between 2 day hikes: Heliotrope Ridge or Ptarmingan Ridge, neither of which I've done. I would prefer to do Ptarmigan only because I have a borrowed car and the road is entirely paved. I've only seen one trip report saying that there partial snow coverage. Has anyone been up there and can tell me if the trail is passable and safe? I could do Heliotrope, but my two concerns are the status of the road to the TH and the three creek crossings one most encounter on the trail. What can I expect at this point in the year from those creeks? Thanks for your suggestions and advice in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:57 am 
Ptarmigan - USFS says it is only partially melted out - carries snow late into the year - some people may be uncomfortable crossing snowfields without an ice axe. Heliotrope - road is well graded & heavily used - should not be a concern. Only the last creek crossing presents any sort of difficulty - not dangerous but it requires either a big leap or wading through knee deep water. My suggestion - do Heliotrope first - but do it really early in the morning when the water level is at it's lowest. Trail is only 3 miles to the glacier so you could easily get there in less than 2 hours. Back at you car at mid day - drive to the end of Artist's Point & do the first part of Ptarmigan Ridge which will be completely melted out & have a heathy dose of flowers.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 1:35 pm 
The creeks on Heliotrope are running kind of high from all the rain we had last week. They're not dangerous or hard, just kind of deep so bring wading shoes or prepare for cold feet. The road is entirely doable in my old Volvo station wagon. The road to Artist's Point is currently open, but you'll find several feet of snow still on the north and east sides of the ridges. This translates to be prepared for snow travel on the last half of the trail.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 3:20 pm 
David & Karen wrote:
Only the last creek crossing presents any sort of difficulty - not dangerous but it requires either a big leap or wading through knee deep water.
I don't agree. The last creek is a rock hop, if you take your time picking your route. The second creek's the bad one. You'll want good poles, or hands to hold, and, like jenjen said, wading shoes. David ps - Pics of people crossing the second creek lost with the demise of a previous computer. frown.gif pps - I'm a little dubious about jenjen's 2fer. You can do it, but if you take the trouble to cross those creeks, you'll be frustrated if you don't also take some time to explore once you get out to the moraine above the Coleman Icefall. On the other hand, the views from Ptarmigan Ridge are spectacular ....... even if you never leave the Artist's Point parking lot. agree.gif And if all you do is get up to Artist's Point in the early evening, the photography could be spectacular. ...... Then go back down and have dinner at Milano's. humpy.gif
Third creek (on the first of August)
Third creek (on the first of August)
Ptarmigan Ridge and Mt Baker from one mile in. ......... Of course, you do need to schedule sunshine.   :(
Ptarmigan Ridge and Mt Baker from one mile in. ......... Of course, you do need to schedule sunshine. frown.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 4:23 pm 
To be honest I only remember two & the first was fairly braided & wasn't much of a concern. Here is a pic of the 'second' one - taken on the afternoon of August 24th, 2002
HeliotropeCrossing
HeliotropeCrossing

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 5:02 pm 
I went to Baker to do Ptarmigan Ridge on Saturday. With the lack of visibility of Mt. Baker we instead spent our time on the Chain Lakes trail. This picture is taken from the Chain Lakes Trail on 7-9-05 where Ptarmigan Ridge trail branches off (about 1 mile from the parking lot). You can see the Ptarmigan Ridge trail in the pic. The trail descriptions I've read have included warnings about losing your bearings on this trail in bad weather (although it looks pretty easy to follow from here) so we played it safe and saved if for a better-weather day (today would have been perfect!). I agree with an earlier poster... start with Heliotrope early and then venture out to Ptarmigan... what the heck, you're already in the neighborhood and the elevation change isn't significant for at least the first two miles. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 5:27 pm 
Elvis wrote:
This picture is taken from the Chain Lakes Trail on 7-9-05 where Ptarmigan Ridge trail branches off (about 1 mile from the parking lot). You can see the Ptarmigan Ridge trail in the pic.
What a difference a year or three makes. ..... Elvis' picture is taken from exactly the same spot mine was, but because of the clouds he couldn't know that Baker was a little further to the right. suuure.gif The first stream crossing is Kulshan Creek. The crossing is just below Kulshan Falls, and that ought to be memorable. ...... The second stream crossing, the one in D&K's pic, is the west fork of Heliotrope Creek, which does not show on the map (only its gully indicates where it is). ...... The third crossing is the east fork of Heliotrope Creek, which does show on the map. It's the one in my pic and is the only braided one. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 6:07 pm 
And finally here we have a pic of the first creek...
FirstCreek
FirstCreek

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 7:44 pm 
Nope. That's the third creek. moon.gif I don't know how you number stream crossings, but I number them from the trailhead to the destination. tongue.gif
Another view of THIRD CREEK
Another view of THIRD CREEK

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 8:56 pm 
The hardest creek crossing(the last I think) on Heliotrope can easily be crossed if you head further upstream. Take the climber's route to the hogsback and then head across to Surveyor's Rock. I'm betting that Ptarmigin is still a little wet and snow covered. My advice is that if you have a nice day, do Ptarmigin and if it's cloudy, do Heliotrope. Heliotrope is quite scenic even with Baker is covered in cloud because of the Coleman icefall.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 10:04 pm 
I was just up the road to Heliotrope ridge two weeks ago, and darned if I don't remember it as paved almost the whole way. In any case, the road is really good by forest service standards, no problem for any car. The creek crossings are not that hard. Follow the advice already given on the last crossing, which is: head slightly uphill, just a couple of hundred yards, to where the stream channel is braided, and then cross the braids one at a time, jumping a bit, pole vaulting a bit, and your feet will stay nice and dry.

sospeso

sospeso
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 am 
Thank you all for your input. As expected I received many thoughtful, intelligent and studied responses. Thanks for all the pics too. On the next clear day, I think I'll head for heliotrope and then swing over to ptarmigan and see how far I get.