Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:13 pm 
I'm going to take the last few days of my summer break to go to the coast. I want to drive over and do the Dungeness Spit on the first day, an Olympics hike (Hurricane Ridge?) on the second, and a Hoh rainforest hike on the last day. I'm looking for dayhikes around ten miles or so. Any reccomendations? Also, if I take the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, then take the bridge across the Hood Canal, would that be faster than driving around the sound? If so, how much does the ferry cost? Thanks for the help!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:50 pm 
BarePaw wrote:
Also, if I take the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, then take the bridge across the Hood Canal, would that be faster than driving around the sound? If so, how much does the ferry cost?
I think its around 16 bucks now with a passager, but you will have a chance to get some of those cool 2 dollar bills. Yes it is faster if you don't get stuck in one of those crazy 3 ferry wait lines or one of the captains don't run it a ground. Mount Townsend is a must, or Marmot pass is another good one. Enjoy.

Ebrace life!
Don

Don
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 9:19 pm 
If you are coming over from Eastern WA, it would be quicker to drive around. The drive to the Hood Canal Bridge is 1-1/2 hours from Renton. By the time you weigh waiting in line for a ferry, the ferry ride, and the 25 mile an hour drive thru town, you will not beat this from the I-90 corridor. The ferry makes sense for anyone living on the north end. With a 10 mile day hike criteria, your day hikes are numerous. There is so much to do in the Olympics that you couldn't possibly experience it all in one summer, let alone one weekend. In addition to Hichen's advise, I would also recommend the Lillian Ridge - Grand Valley loop, and many of the beach hikes. Also consider the Quinault Rain Forest as I think it is superier to the Hoh. The hike into Pony Bridge is excellent. Just food for thought.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 9:21 pm 
Ferry info including fares and schedules can be found here http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ In the Hurricane ridge area: Grand ridge from deer park to obstruction peak Lake angeles/ heather park loop A really nice trail through the woods starts in the Heart of the Hills campground, great for an after dinner or morning stroll Not many trails at the Hoh rainforest area of the park other than the Hoh river to mt. olympus, the river walk is not the best dayhike I have done. Maybe instead of the Hoh, you might try Sol Duc instead, more hikes to chose from, varied terrain and distances: Sol Duc river to Appleton pass Seven lakes Basin Doesnt really matter , you cant have a bad time in the Olympics biggrin.gif , take maps and raingear, and have a great trip. C.J.