Forum Index > Trail Talk > Aasgard Pass Information?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:08 pm 
All you jokers are hard core joe-bob climbers. Give the guy a break. He's going to be carrying to much weight and it's going to take him longer than that. Get an EARLY start and you'll be ok.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
All you jokers are hard core joe-bob climbers. Give the guy a break. He's going to be carrying to much weight and it's going to take him longer than that. Get an EARLY start and you'll be ok.
I agree. smile.gif I also agree that the more seasoned hikers give time estimates for themselves - not for the average joe asking for a little guidance. That said, the difficulty is often over stated. But I don't suggest camping at Colchuck. If you start at 9, an easy pace will get you to the lake by noon. You could lunch for 2 hours and still be camped in the upper basin by 5.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:44 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
All you jokers are hard core joe-bob climbers. Give the guy a break. He's going to be carrying to much weight and it's going to take him longer than that.
Don’t see why you’re gettin’ fired up. DayveeB said he was going to either overnight at Colchuck and exit the next day at the Snow Lake TH, or do the entire loop in a day. Presumably, he has some experience. Getting up Aasgard from Colchuck in under two hours, depending on his pack weight, will be quite doable [shrug].

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Don

Don
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm 
I've always approached The Enchantments via Asskick (love that one!). Last year we approached via Snow Lake, a much more difficult approach IMO! You have the long miles and still have steepness at the end! The approach to Aasgard is easy and the route up gets the work out of the way in a hurry. My calves will confirm that hands were never necesarry, by the way. 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours with full pack from Colchuck is about right. agree.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:14 pm 
Don wrote:
My calves will confirm that hands were never necesarry, by the way.
Stock isn't allowed in the Enchantments. rant.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
John

John
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:54 pm 
I went up Aasgard for the first time just a few weeks ago. The way to the pass looks very intimidating from the north shore of the Colchuck Lake, but once you're on it, I found it wasn't so bad. I had about 40 pounds on my back and it took me a little over an hour to reach the top, but I think that was a pretty fast pace. I stopped twice very briefly on the way up to catch the view - my legs quickly die if I stop moving. There was about 50 feet of snow to cross near the top, but that should be long gone by now. You will be using your hands to pull yourself over a boulder or two, and the ground is loose in spots, but the way is well marked by cairns. There seemed to be a cairn every ten feet in the Enchantments. Most were helpful, some misleading. Have a great time! Here are some pics from the trip: Enchantments - June 25th - 27th, 2005 John

gary

gary
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 6:30 am 
Thanks everyone for the info on this. I will be trying to do the same thing in 3 weeks. One of my sons really dislikes descending steep terrain, so we also plan on exiting via snow lake and hitching back. Any bug reports from recent visitors?