Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help! First time in the Enchantments.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 10:22 am 
I want to start planning my trip now and could use some helpful advise. I have a four day pass for Snow Lake; unfortunately for me i didn't get the Enchantment Lake Basin. We are going the third week in August, and Snow Lake will be our base camp. We plan to hike into Snow Lake Sunday, get up early Monday and Tuesday and day hike in and out of Enchantments, then hike out from Snow Lake on Wednesday. I'm looking for your favorite spots or things we must see while in the area, I want to take advantage of a great opportunity in a great place. If you don't want to share your favorites with everyone please PM me. Also, is there any additional gear i must take that one may not usually take?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 10:28 am 
I'll PM you TJ.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
shoe lady

shoe lady
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 10:37 am 
first time in the enchantments
I had the same situation last summer. A four night permit at Snow Lake. One thing you could try if you don't like the Snow Lake permit is to show up at the Ranger Station on the day of your trip and see if you can get an Enchantments permit in the lottery. If you don't want to or that doesn't work, head up and find a nice camp at Snow Lake on day 1. The second day I headed up from Snow Lakes and did the traverse of the Enchantment Lakes out to Aasguard Pass and back. Bring lots of film. Day 3 I headed back up to the Enchantment Lakes and headed up the trail to Prusik Pass. Saw lots of mountain goats on this day. You can access Earl, Shields and Mesa Lakes and some other worthwhile places from here. Then going back down to the main Enchantment Lakes trail, found a route up to Gnome Tarn for the classic picture of this lake with Prusik Peak in the background. If you have energy left over after you get down from this day of exploration you could pack up and find a nice camp spot at Nada Lake. Less of trudge out on Day 4 to the Snow Lake trailhead. Many on this board will say this is an ugly way to do the Enchantments, but I saw a lot and felt the experience was well worth it, Enchantment Lakes permit or not.

Life goes on in the shoe
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 10:39 am 
shoe lady wrote:
Many on this board will say this is an ugly way to do the Enchantments, but I saw a lot and felt the experience was well worth it, Enchantment Lakes permit or not.
Well I would tend to agree, but it's certainly better than not seeing them at all!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 12:52 pm 
What is the climb like from Upper Snow Lake to Vivian, any rough guess on distance, elevation gain, and time? Will it be a pain in the ass to do it two days in a row?

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
It's a nice little climb...about 2 miles if I am not mistaken..depends on where you start and finish i guess.. It up over big boulders and thru a few small stretches of woods. Just follow the cairns. If you arent in great shape,yes, it might be a pain to go up two days in a row. So much to explore once you get up there I would have to spend 2-4 hours just getting to and from there and that time to me is better spent in the basin itself.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
trailjunky wrote:
What is the climb like from Upper Snow Lake to Vivian, any rough guess on distance, elevation gain, and time? Will it be a pain in the ass to do it two days in a row?
The distance Im not sure of. I think its around 1200 feet of gain. Should take you around an hour to 1.5 if I remember. It's been a long time since Ive done it. Im an Asgaard Pass guy now.

salish

salish
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:46 pm 
TJ, the summer before last I went in through Snow Lakes and camped at the last camp spot on Upper Snow, and made my way up to the Enchantments by day hiking the next day. It's not a bad way to go, but I discovered that even as nice as Upper Snow Lake is, you feel cheated after you crest the top and see Viviane. But like BPJ said, it's all good. If you stay below and like to fish, try Lower Snow. Like someone else said, hiking from upper Snow Lake to the Chants two days in a row might be a bit tiring, unless you're in good shape. It's certainly worth the hike, though. The first views at the top are just incredible, and the farther you go the better it gets. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
shoe lady

shoe lady
PostFri Jul 15, 2005 7:44 am 
first time in enchantments
Just my two cents worth on going from Snow Lakes up to the Enchantments on two consecutive days . . . First day up may take you a little longer because not having been there you'll have to watch a bit more for the cairns and then maybe in a couple spots you'll have to pick your way through the boulders. The second time would go faster because you would be familiar with the route. Other posters have listed the correct elevation gain. It probably will seem like a big pain doing it twice but the whole setting of the Enchantment Lakes, and the lakes themselves, will make the effort worth it if you decide to make the second trip up. I liked Inspiration and Perfection Lakes a little better than Vivanne. But as everyone else has said this is a beautiful area and one you will want to go back to at some point.

Life goes on in the shoe
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostFri Jul 15, 2005 8:28 am 
I'm so excited, cant wait!