Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite Day Hikes in Glacier NP?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spherical

Spherical
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 3:39 pm 
Hello Everybody! I've got three days in Glacier in august, but I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I was hoping you all might have a suggestion or two on good hikes. Actually, forget the good hikes, how about fabulous and awe-inspiring hikes? The two of us are in good shape, but have no climbing or technical experience, so we'll have to stick to largely horizontal routes. So? What's your favorite hike in Glacier? Thanks all! ~Spherical

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 3:58 pm 
well I had three planned but my plans fell through. I suggest the highline divide to granite park Campground then swiftcurrent pass trail to Many glacier.. then take the iceberg lake trail as a dayhike. You can shuttle to and from your car where ever you may park. Have fun.. I am envious.!! up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 4:01 pm 
ice berg lake up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 4:34 pm 
The Garden Wall and Highline trail, absolutely stunning high country. The nice thing about the park is the availability to park and then use the shuttle bus service as a second mode of transportation to get back to your vehicle. up.gif , Denise has promised to drive, I will plan the trip winksmile.gif , but another worthy trip is rafting down the Middle Fork of the Flathead River.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 6:45 pm 
A couple good guidebooks are... Best Easy Dayhikes Glacier and Waterton Lakes by E. Molvar Hiking Glacier and Waterton Lakes NP by E. Molvar up.gif If you need info on a hike or hikes, PM me ad I can send you the trail narrative / stats in a PDF file

Living in the Anthropocene
silence

silence
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 7:42 pm 
Up to the Grinnell Glacier (from Many Glacier) - awesome vistas; ditto on the Garden Wall (much wildlife - goats and bighorn sheep); wanted to do Iceberg and the Ptarmigan Tunnel, but that area was closed due to high bear activity (in Sept when they were gorging on huckleberries and getting intoxicated on mountain ash). Watched them (grizzlies and blacks) from below in the parking area. Beautiful country - if you have time drive up to Waterton and take the hiker's shuttle (scenic boat tour) down and back (to Goat Haunt) on Wateron Lake.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostFri Jul 15, 2005 9:47 am 
I was fortunate enough to land a summer job at Headquarters one year. Glacier NP has one million acres with only 100 miles of road and over 1,000 miles of trails. Wow. I didn't get to all of them. The above posts list the showcase trips, and also the tourist funnels. If you want a bit of solitude try the Kintla/Bowman Lakes area or the Nyack area.

This the year!!
silence

silence
PostFri Jul 15, 2005 2:02 pm 
Right! Forgot we did Glacier after Labor Day - only the McDonald Lake Lodge was open; the hiker's shuttles weren't operating; and the campgrounds and trails weren't especially crowded.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan