Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three days in Yosemite: What would you do?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 5:08 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Yeah, the Grill is that canvas-walled "eating establishment", and nope, nothing other than the bacon and eggs are worth eating. The Ahwanee is good, bar the occasional case of food poisoning. The cool thing about the grill that I forgot to mention is that it's the Thru Hiker Center of the Universe. Endless stories, madcap hijinx and personality disorders galore! Better than Everest base camp or the hot springs at Tatopani. All types of fruits, nuts and flakes are well represented. I believe the rangers are mostly armed, since one was murdered by a wingnut a few years back. My comments about tourists are not without reason. My first trip to the valley was via Snow Creek/Mt Watkins, after atwo month trip in the high country. Dropping down through (arguably) the most beautiful terrain in the world, I reached the smoggy valley floor and was shocked to find myself in an absolutely bizarre sort of rustic "ye old" cowboy style SHOPPING MALL. I wanted to burn it down, cut the bridges, blast the road and drive the heathens out of the temple. How could they have done this? I think the valley loop should be closed, or limited to some sort of public transit access only.
I was kidding about the Ahwahnee haven't even seen it (but I've seen pics). I have experienced that little shopping mall and without a doubt it should and must be removed from the Valley, along with most of Curry Village and all of Housekeeping Camp. Curry is really a disgrace and there shouldn't be a swimming pool there either. That said I did use the showers and appreciated being handed a towel by an attendant! Felt like a million bucks after several days of tent camping. Maybe leave a campground or two on the valley floor but remove or redesign all support services and put most of them outside the valley like in the master plan that will take effect in the year 3000. rolleyes.gif I took advantage of the hamburger stand and showers but I could just as easily survive on food and drink I brought along to a campground if I knew that was the only option. But we're kidding ourselves if we think all the support services for visitors will be removed and the park returned to a simpler status. But that said many things have changed for the better like the much improved bear situation (use to be open garbage dumps in the park for cryin' out loud!), no more Firefall off of Glacier Pt., etc. Park rangers in the USA have been armed for some time, I noticed that as far back as the early 90's in MRNP at Ohanapecosh campground. Hey it could have been worse in Yosemite Valley a la Hetch Hetchy- the head of the Bureau of Reclamation many years ago said it was the perfect spot for a dam and reservoir (which it probably is when you think about it) and a total waste to not take advantage of it! He said before they would build it many of the world's best photographers, artists and poets should have a year or two to have at it and capture it for posterity and then fill the sucker up! lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Moleman

Moleman
PostSat Jul 16, 2005 12:17 am 
For what it's worth, 2 summers ago six of us did the following: Stayed in El Portal motel the night before. Got up before the crack of dawn, drove to the Valley, left cars at the backpackers parking lot at the start of the Half Dome trail, and managed to finally find someone who could tell us where to board the bus toward Tuolomne Meadows (we had reservations, and had picked up permits and bear cannisters the night before). Rode the bus up to Tenaya Lake, disembarked, and headed up the trail. Camped at a little pond about 3 or 4 miles in the first night. Next day, over Clouds Rest -- too bad it was overcast. Got chased off of CR by nearby lightning. Camped that night near the junction of the Muir and CR trails. Next day, up to Half Dome and down to Little Yosemite Valley. Descended HD in rain and hail, not fun. Like others, I would rate the CR view superior to HD -- after all, you get to look down on HD. Stayed at Bear Central, the Little Yosemite campground. Last day, down past the falls. Very wierd encountering the day hikers in flip flops. Left via another drive up the Tioga Road. The descent to Mono Lake was incredible, would be fun on a bicycle with good brakes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message