Forum Index > Trip Reports > Downey Creek and Bachelor Meadows (7/21)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RH

RH
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 8:37 pm 
For several years I have been intrigued by the photo of Bachelor Meadows in the book of 100 hikes in the Glacier Peak Region. On Thursday I decided that it was finally time to check it out The Downey Creek TR is located North of Darrington, 21 mile up the Suiattle River road. Due to the floods of 2003, you have to walk approx ½ mile past the barriers further up the road. The Downey Creek trail is 6 miles long and is in very good shape, a few down trees, a little mud, and a little brush. Immediately after crossing Bachelor Creek, the trail starts up hill, right beside Bachelor Creek. It is very interesting that the trip reports for this area stopped 2 years ago, and those TR’s painted a pretty ugly picture of the trail conditions. Because of the previous TR’s, I was actually surprised how pronounced the trail is. This is a non-maintained trail, with a large number of trees across the trail, a little mud, and a lot of brush. Did I mention brush, roughly two miles worth, well over your head in many places. I felt very fortunate that it was dry by the time I went through it, however it was very hot. Just as you begin the climb to the ridge above Bachelor Mdws, an avalanche has destroyed about a ½ mile of trail. Continue on the trail until you get stopped by the debris and then move to the right and climb the hill in the trees. After 900 feet elevation gain, you can cut left and pickup the trail above the avalanche path. Be sure and climb the 6200 foot point on the west side of the ridge, well worth the views. I met three groups on the trail with a total of five people. With so much traffic, why no TR’s?
View North from Ridge Above Bachelor Mdws
View North from Ridge Above Bachelor Mdws
View West from Ridge Above Bachelor Mdws
View West from Ridge Above Bachelor Mdws
Dome Peak, Cub&Itswoot Lakes
Dome Peak, Cub&Itswoot Lakes

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 8:59 pm 
I've been dying to go there for years, even before the bridge wash-out on the road, but was always deterred by the length/elevation gain, and the reports of bad tread/brush. But I'm in better shape now, and the brush didn't sound too bad, so maybe this is my year. One tiny point: though you do head north out of Darrington a bit to access the Suiattle river road, the trailhead is actually due east of Darrington, not north. Great pics, especially the one of Dome/Cub. Now if anyone is thinking "Aha! Trip reports do increase usage, because Sluggo read this report and now he's going!", well, think again! wink.gif It has been my intention to do this hike eventually, and if I go this year, then I won't go next year or whenever. It's too tough of a trip to become a regular destination for someone like me.

touron

touron
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 9:31 pm 
Thanks for the trip report and photos. I've been wondering how do-able this trail is. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 pm 
Did you go down to both lakes? Did you stay the night there? How are the camp sites at Itswoot? Cup is over used because of the climbers, but Ive heard Itswoot is pretty natural. That trip is a good candidate for a 5pm departure time from the car. Hike the 6 miles to Bachelor creek and spend the night. Then hit the lakes in the morning in the cool tempuratures.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RH

RH
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 8:33 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Did you go down to both lakes? Did you stay the night there? How are the camp sites at Itswoot? Cup is over used because of the climbers, but Ive heard Itswoot is pretty natural. That trip is a good candidate for a 5pm departure time from the car. Hike the 6 miles to Bachelor creek and spend the night. Then hit the lakes in the morning in the cool tempuratures.
This was just an in/out trip. Didn't go down to the lakes because the views from up top are very good. Besides, my wife made me take her to Spider Gap today. With only one day of rest, I didn't want to waste the energy. The south side of Itswoot definitely looks like the place for camp.

Don

Don
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 9:20 pm 
Thanks for the TR RH! In '95, the Downey Creek trail was a highway while the Bachelor Creek trail was a mess. In 2000, the Bachelor Creek trail was an average trail with little to complain about while the Downey Creek trail was a disaster from multiple washouts. For BPJ, I have done the Ptarmigan traverse 4 times and have never seen anyone camped at Cub Lake. I've read the same report as you, but all the climbers camp on Itswoot Ridge (or on the Blue Glacier). Just my observation. Oh, and hush on the point west of Cub Lake RH! lol.gif

Hiking Tuque

Hiking Tuque
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 1:04 pm 
Nice report. I soloed up there in '94 - spent the night at Cub and was the only one there. Went back to Bench Lake in '98. Talk about car fever on the return end of those 6 miles!