Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lost Basin/Cameron Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 10:38 am 
I arrived at the Dosewallips washout under clear skies at 2:30 in the afternoon on Thursday in hopes to getting a jumpstart to an extended trip up into Lost Basin. I was immediately approached by some WTA people with yellow flags in their hands, who had just returned from marking a potential re-route of the road on the other side of the ridge - yeah! Note: I had a long conversation with one of the gentlemen, who reported genuine optimism throughout the WTA organization that oppositioin to rebuilding the road was running out of options, though he did not share their confidence personally. He reported that they had indeed found a route on the other side of the ridge and flagged it. The route does not go thru any old-growth forest. FYI. A lower trail has been put in along the river to get past the washout. It is a cherry of a trail too - thank you! Last April we were forced to negotiate the upper "path" while pushing bicycles, which steeply switch-backed up over a rib and down the other side and was quite exposed to a slip. I arrived at the Dose TH at 4:00, having pushed my bike the majority of the distance due to the heavy pack. The payoff, of course, would be on the return trip. I hiked in 3.5 miles to Slide Creek camp and set camp for the evening. I noticed a couple of clouds drifting overhead near sunset, and was jealous of anyone in the high country this particular evening and the spectacle they were likely witnessing at sunset. The clouds turned a brilliant pink in the evening sky. I also knew this likely confirmed the predicted weather change for the next day. Sure enough, it began to drizzle on my bivy sack around 5:00 am. I broke camp around 7:30 and headed out through the mist. The mist was short-lived and only lasted for a few miles. The meadows below and at the Gray Wolf Pass junction are displaying an amazing flower show right now, with Columbine, lupine, paintbrush, foxglove, aster, cow parsnip, etc. all contributing in their grandeur. Some trail maintenance has been put in shortly above this junction, but only for a short stretch. The Dosewallips trail then becomes quite overgrown and even hard to follow in stretches until shortly before Dose Meadows, where maintenance has been done again, to a greater extent. Not a soul was camped at Dose Meadows, or any of the previous sites along the way. The trail to Lost Pass is quite steep, gaining 1,100’ in less than a mile. But arriving at the flower-strewn pass and seeing the views beyond into Lost Basin make it all worth the while. Lost Basin is comprised of rolling green meadows and is quite large. Very scenic. I descended to Three Sons Camp, arriving at 2:30 and finding it vacant. It was shortly after setting up camp that I saw my first person of the day – a guy passing thru en route to Dose Meadows from Cameron Creek. His footsteps were followed a short time later by a couple with the same itinerary, who eventually would cross over Hayden Pass, over Low Divide and exit via the Quinault – a very scenic trip I bet. After dinner I ventured back up toward Lost Pass to photograph the flowers and sunset. It was nearly at sunset that I spotted a sow and her two cubs up on the lower slopes of Lost Peak. The cubs were playfully chasing and tackling one another and were fun to watch in the dimming light. Though quite far away from my perch, the mother still gathered her cubs in and fled around to the southern side of the mountain upon becoming aware of my presence. The next morning I headed up to Cameron Pass and walked the ridge west to its high point. The views were excellent to Olympus, the Bailey Range, Mt. Anderson, and down to Cameron Basin. At 6,500’, the pass and vicinity are very barren, a stark contrast to the meadows of Lost Pass and Lost Basin. I then descended down into Cameron Basin. The trail down is steep and loose. Ski poles would have been nice. The area is quite interesting however, and keeps your mind and senses busy. The upper basin continues to be very barren, while meadows begin to be interspersed amongst rock in the lower basin. Lupine and other flowers line the creeks as they tumble down. The lupine and paintbrush were in peak form in the lower basin. There is a beautiful waterfall near Cameron Basin Camp at the lip of the basin, which is framed with pink heather as it cascades thru the rocks. I returned to Cameron Pass and for the first time noticed a sparkle in the horizon to north. I realized instantly that I must have been seeing the sun’s reflection off cars parked at the Obstruction Point parking lot many ridges away. The map confirmed it. Here I was 15.4 miles into the heart of the Olympics, enjoying complete solitude in such a magnificent setting after much sweat and toil, to be looking at parked cars that are actually at a higher elevation than I was at! I descended to camp and napped for a couple of hours, only to awaken to clouds claiming the sky. This was disappointing, as I had scouted several compositions to photograph Lost Basin and Lost Peak earlier in the day. At 6:00 I headed back up to Cameron Pass. Clouds now began to roll up some of the valleys. The Dosewallips valley was now consumed in clouds, as were Sentinel Peak and Thousand Acre Meadows which used to be visible over Lost Pass. I arrived at Cameron Pass to complete clouds above me and in some instances, around me. Cameron Basin soon filled up. I turned my weather radio on to hear the forecast for the Olympic Mountains “tonight thru Thursday, clear…” Hmmm. At 8:00 the clouds began to break and the magnificent show began. The ridge between Lost Pass and Mt. Claywood turned fiery red above the nearly gold meadows of the south slopes of Cameron Pass. As the sun fell lower, its rays were diffused by the clouds and deflected by the rolling fog, turning the fog a brilliant magenta all around me. Sunset was shot with a wide-angle lens to capture the amazing casting of color. What an incredible sunset. I descended back to camp and experienced my coldest night of the trip. The next morning I broke camp at 8:00 and headed out, reaching the TH at 1:30. Outside of running into the lone hiker again at Bear Camp (who was heading back to Deer Park via Gray Wolf Pass), I didn’t see anyone until reaching the Constance Pass junction. The bike ride out was a pleasure to the feet and brought me back to the truck in just 40 minutes, passing many looks of envy along the way. What a ride! I hope to have some pics posted later tonight.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 11:01 am 
Some of the best flower shows I've seen were in Lost Basin. Let's see the pics!

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 11:02 am 
Fantastic report. A week ago, I was just north of your adventure. First time backpacking in the Olympics, I was taken back by scenery I didn't expect. Couldn't help but wonder how Cameron Pass, Lost Pass, and Thousand Acre Meadow looked like while there. Thanks for the report.

Don

Don
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 11:08 am 
Thanks Enigma. Actually, while at the pass I was trying to pick out your route of adventure with map in hand. I believe you were on the north side of the ridge stemming over to McCartney, correct? Of course it is hard to tell from a distance, but Thousand Acre Meadows did not look to be offering much flowers. Several years ago I witnessed a magnificent showing of avalanche lilies up there while heading up to Hayden Pass. The flower display in Lost Basin was mostly near Lost Pass, and most were slightly past their prime. There wasn't much to speak of in the main basin.

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 11:12 am 
great tr Don can't wait to see the pics. When I did the Hoh river trail I saw a sow and two cubs playing and climbing. I sat (hidden) quietly and watched for a good 1/2 hr. She never noticed me. Then some yahoos came bouncing up the trail and she gathered he cubs up and took off. One of the most awsome wildlife watchings I have done. Glad you got to see some little ones too.

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 9:21 pm 
Don wrote:
Thanks Enigma. Actually, while at the pass I was trying to pick out your route of adventure with map in hand. I believe you were on the north side of the ridge stemming over to McCartney, correct? Of course it is hard to tell from a distance, but Thousand Acre Meadows did not look to be offering much flowers. Several years ago I witnessed a magnificent showing of avalanche lilies up there while heading up to Hayden Pass.
Yup, we were in the Lillian Glacier cirque immediately east of McCartney at ~6200ft. I plan on returning to the area, possibly a similar route to yours if only to see the wildflowers and Mt. Cameron.

Don

Don
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 7:42 am 
FYI - Mt. Cameron isn't much to look at from the Cameron Basin/Lost Basin side. I think it would be more attractive from the opposite side where its glaciers could be viewed.

Don

Don
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 5:58 pm 
Finally, here are some pics from the trip.
A waterfall along Cache Creek along the Dosewallips trail in Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
A waterfall along Cache Creek along the Dosewallips trail in Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Sentinel Peak above meadows of lupine at Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Sentinel Peak above meadows of lupine at Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
An Olympic Marmot stands alert in Dose Meadows, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
An Olympic Marmot stands alert in Dose Meadows, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Evening light and storm clouds on the ridge above Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Evening light and storm clouds on the ridge above Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Meadows of lupine in evening light at Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.
Meadows of lupine in evening light at Lost Pass, Olympic National Park, Washington, USA.

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 7:06 pm 
You executed nicely!

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 7:07 pm 
NICE!!!!! I like #5 the sunset or sunrise shot....very nice what peak is that in #3 Cameron?

Don

Don
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 6:42 am 
Thanks. Tazz - #3 is actually the ridge between Lost Pass and Mt. Claywood (or Fromme per Bob) as seen from near Cameron Pass. Not only did it receive this fantastic light, it was actually the only thing revealed thru the clouds at the time.