Forum Index > Trail Talk > My First Overnighter...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EdgarDog

EdgarDog
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 2:33 pm 
Hey Gang, I have been reading these boards for awhile now, and am brand new to hiking. I have been dayhiking 3 times a week for about a month now with my dog but want to go spend the night somewhere. I have some hand me down gear and no idea what I am doing, which is fine by me, and am thinking of heading up to the necklace valley to stay a night or two. Are there any other places I could go set up shop that would be fairly remote but not to punishing to a first timer? Thanks for the help...look forward to hanging around the site and maybe even having something smart to say someday smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 4:56 pm 
Welcome to the site EdgarDog! I generally don't do overnighters so I don't have a lot of advice for you. I will relate that my first overnight outing was out to the coast via the Lk Ozette trail... very memorable... but it's been decades since then so I don't have any planning specifics for you. If I remember correctly, I also did an overnight at Flapjack Lake... or maybe it was Upper/Lower Lena lakes. These are all pretty popular destinations so if you're looking for solitude, check out sites on Ross Lake. The further north you go the fewer folks you'll run into.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 6:05 pm 
Just keep in mind the elevation gain, and miles you've practiced -hopefully with your pack. That should tell you what is feasible, and not.

JimK

JimK
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 6:15 pm 
For your first overnight hike I would strongly suggest you not go to the Necklace Valley. I did it years ago when I was not in good shape and it was the worst I have ever felt while backpacking. The first 5 miles gains only 600'. The last 3 miles gains 2400' and it is a rooty and rocky trail. It's tougher than 4000' of gain on a nicely graded trail. If yu get heat like we had it's even tougher. It's a great place to go but I would suggest an easier shake down trip.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 9:14 pm 
Mt Baker ..... Ptarmigan Ridge Trail to Chain Lakes Trail to lakes. Spectacular views, short distance, moderate grades agree.gif ...... hordes of people. frown.gif Number of campsites is limited, so check with the ranger station in Glacier, first.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wbs

wbs
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 9:32 pm 
Welcome EdgarDog! What sort of overnight location are you interested in - mountain, coast or semi-desert? Some places that have essence of "remote" but aren't really way out there- Ancient Lakes comes to mind for a real easy flat one, with many side trip explorations. But, being August it's insane daytime heat over there. Early spring is good time however. Chain Lakes Trail up by Baker was previously mentioned, another short one. If you don't mind the drive distances - the stuff on the Olympic coast is flat and scenic. As a sidenote, if you can find a copy of "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher in the library - a good source of info on backpacking. I read much of it back in the 80's and still use his advice today. Happy Trails smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 9:38 pm 
If you want to go out for two nights, consider hiking in the first day annd spending two nights at the same spot. That way you get to day hike the second day without having to break camp or carry a big pack. Necklace might be a little hard for your first trip, but if you like that general area, try the other fork of the Foss. You could camp at Copper, or if you still feel good, keep going as far up the valley as you like. There is a nice lake every mile or two, and obviously the high lakes above the Foss are sought-after and very nice. Good luck. Be sure to tell us how it works out for you, and be sure not to overpack! smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 10:15 pm 
I'd nominate Spider Meadow for a first time out. The Meadow is 5 miles in on an old wagon road that's really easy to follow. If I remember right you gain 1,000 ft in that 5 miles. There's lots of camping in the meadow itself, you won't have the place all to yourself, but there's lots of room for everyone to spread out. You can base camp in the meadow and then the next day hike up to Larch Knob and Spider Gap, and all sorts of wanderings in that area. There are all sorts of old mines dotted around there to find. Ditto "The Complete Walker". Colin Fletcher has a wonderful, approachable writing style. Some of the gear he talks about may be dated, but the general advice is spot on.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 10:28 pm 
Necklace Valley is an excellent first hike. Hike in 5 miles to the river crossing and set up camp there. Very little elevation gain and some nice campsites on the river. Get up the next day and day hike to the upper valley without a pack. You'll have a steep climb, but without a pack can be done in several hours. Once in the upper valley you'll have miles of meadows to wander. Make sure you hang up any food and DON"T put any food in your tent or the mice will eat you alive. I hold the single night record of most caught mice of 27!.....can anyone top that?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
EdgarDog

EdgarDog
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 am 
Wow, thanks for all the feedback, and its good to be a part of the boards. Turns out my dad's pack doesn't fit me all that well (he is 6'2, I am 6'5) so once I get a paycheck and make a trip to REI I will be headed up somewhere...although the thought of 27 mice doesn't sound ALL that tempting smile.gif In the meantime I have been sticking to numerous dayhikes, they seem to be good for the heart and the brain...but I am still itching to see an Alpine Lake sunset and sunrise... Anyway, thanks for the info again, clearly I need to research how to set up a good camp, or else apparently the mice woul dhave eaten me up!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 11:47 am 
I don't know where your from, but a overnighter to Merrit Lake or Rock Mountain via Snow Creek trail with, an easy summit and then camp at Rock Lake might be a good package. Start early to gain elevation before the day gets to hot. You could go to a bookstore and go through the guidebooks in the area you are interested and pick up some good info for free. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene