Forum Index > Trail Talk > Large falls (re)discovered down in California
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 1:05 pm 
article
Quote:
Until recently, very few had seen the roaring water that tumbles three tiers before pouring neatly into Crystal Creek. That such a spectacle should evade even park officials for nearly 40 years is remarkable, said park superintendent Jim Milestone. "It wasn't on a map, no one on the trail crew knew about it. People who been here 27 years had never seen it," said Milestone, who is leading an effort to clear a trail to the newly named Whiskeytown Falls. It's expected to be finished by next summer.
But even here the secrecy battle prevails...
Quote:
Not surprisingly, however, there are some who would prefer the falls remain a secret. Milestone has even received an anonymous letter criticizing him for inviting outsiders to overrun the park. Dave Girard, an avid hiker who lives in Redding, said he's known about the falls for about 10 years and has visited at least twice. He said he doesn't oppose Milestone's efforts to open the falls to visitors because he believes no matter how much hikers like to covet their favorite places, "there's always someone who's been there before you."
hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 2:42 pm 
Do we know anybody here that will give us a first hand report with photos? I bet be do. Just a matter of time now.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 10:34 pm 
My fellow waterfall hunters have been ranting about this for the last two days since the article surfaced. My California counterpart (his website is www.waterfallswest.com) said he is highly suspicious of the height they give - he's more inclined to think it's around 200 feet tall. Whiskeytown is definitely not a National Park hot spot, and the consensus seems to be this is a PR attempt to up attendance. The falls certainly aren't noteworthy in the grand scheme of things. Tom can attest to that with what he saw in the Berdeen area. Give me 5 hours with whomever wrote that article and I'll...let's just say alter his perception. smile.gif *edit* Oh yeah, and Leon (website above) has told me he's tried unsuccessfully to reach the falls, but doesn't know many who have seen it. The Park Service is reportedly building a trail, however.