Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nitpacker

nitpacker
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 10:48 am 
I am planning a 5 day in and out on the PCT between Stevens and Snoqualmie. I can do this from either end. Which end would be the most scenic. I will probally go in about 25 miles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KenM

KenM
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 11:44 am 
The Snoqualmie end is definitely more scenic. The first 10 or so miles from Stevens are kind of boring, IMHO. 25 miles from Snoqualmie should put you around the North Fork of Lemah Creek or on the hill above. After doing the Stevens to Snoqualmie section of the PCT last year, I think the area between Gold Creek and Escondido Lake is the best as far as the mountains and views.

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 3:41 pm 
Nitpack, you may as well thru hike from Stevens to Snoqualmie. I believe its around 55 miles one way, which seems a lot more interesting than hiking 25 miles in, then 25 miles back out the same way.

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 7:59 pm 
We went in via Surprise Lake, and I think Deep Lake came in at about 22 miles. Coming in from Snoqualmie, yeah, Lemah Creek sounds about right. That leaves the middle section untraveled, unless you start somwhere like Salmon La Sac, head out towards Waptus Lake or something. I don't think you could go wrong with either start pont, it depends on what you'd like to see and which sidetrips look most appealing. I did like that segment between the Katwalk and Spectacle Lake the best on my trip, and there's plenty of playground to cover in between.

Always take the scenic route.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 12:09 pm 
Better yet, start at Stevens and head north. This will take you to Lake Valhalla, Janus lake, Grizzly peak, Pear lake and others in the vicinity, Frozen Finger pass, Saddle gap, Lake Sally Ann, Dishpan gap, Kodak peak, Meander Meadow, Indian pass, White pass, and Red pass. This is some of the best scenery in the whole state IMO, better than anything south of Stevens or north of Snoqualmie. If you use two days in and three back, it will allow quite a bit of side trips on the longer leg of the trip, so you won't feel like you're just going back out the same way you came in with no variation.

nitpacker

nitpacker
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 9:30 pm 
Thanks for alll the good advice.

Darth Hiker
n/a

Darth Hiker
n/a
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 10:25 am 
I did the Stevens to Snoqualmie Pass hike a few years ago. I would recommend going from north to south as you'll see a bit more snow on the north facing peaks, and the views south on the last day are awesome. Of course, if you were going in the opposite direction, all you'd have to do is turn around and you'd have the same view. Either way would be excellent. It's a 70 mile hike which we did in 5 days. It's a lot of up and down, so that wouldn't leave you a lot of time to stop and smell the wildflowers, but it certainly can be done. We were actually planning to do it in 6 days, but somehow the locations of good campsites made us do it in 5. It's a good way to lose ten lbs. in 5 days though! Heading north from Stevens Pass would certainly be a good choice as well. It seems a bit more remote and wildernessy. In terms of natural beauty, it's like trying to say which of your children you love more. I would probably do the Stevens to Snoqualmie first and leave the PCT north of Stevens Pass to be savoured on a future occasion.

May the force and a can of bug spray be with you, my son.