Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pass Creek, W Cady Ridge questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 10:46 am 
I wonder what the crossing of the N Fork Skykomish River is like now when going on the Pass Creek trail? Is there a log, or does it require wet feet? I'm also hoping to find out how to find the spring on W Cady Ridge as mentioned in Damian's TR: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11725
Damian wrote:
W Cady Ridge is one of several excellent ridgewalks in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. No water though, and dry as a bone. With the exception of at least one secret spring. The spring is easy to find if you know where it is. Impossible otherwise. I was glad to see it was still flowing after this dry summer. I filled 3.5 qts, and slogged onward to Benchmark Mtn enjoying the conditions.
Thanks! SlowWalker

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 11:04 am 
The location of the spring is a secret. I will be killed for divulging it, so don't tell anyone. On the W end of the ridge, there is a shallow saddle just E of unnamed peak 4761'. Look for a spur trail heading S here. Easy to find, if you are alert. Follow it a hundred yards or so down the hill into the brush. When the trail peters out, look to your left for the secret spring. Crossing the NFK Sky this time of year at Pass Ck is likely ok. Depends on the rain.

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 11:24 am 
Thanks, Damian. If I find the spring, I'll be sure to brush away my footprints as I leave. Doing that loop clockwise would mean that spring could be at just about the point I'd be finishing up my water, since the last water I think will be at the Skykomish crossing.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 12:56 pm 
The Pass Creek trail was in good shape on 9/26. Honestly, I can't remember the crossing of the river. I did it in the dark, so it must have been fine. There is another creek crossing further up. It was a boulder hop then. Rain could change things a little, but I think you'll be fine.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 6:28 pm 
On 8/22/05 I was headed down and out in the afternoon. I crossed Pass Creek on a combination of a log and some boulders. The NF Sky was washing over the rocks enough that I decided to carry my boots and wade that crossing.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."