Forum Index > Trail Talk > adolescents to Upper Lena Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 9:56 am 
I am trying to decide on a good hike for my sons and need some group insights. My boys are 10 and 13; they have both hiked 2 or 3 times with me. I have been thinking about taking them to Upper Lena Lake next Summer, but I am concerned that the trail may be too primitive. They can do the mileage, I just wonder about the precarious ledges I have read about in the trail reports. I have not hiked the trail before, can boys make the hike or would you choose another destination? I'm open to suggestions. confused.gif

baseball and hiking ... that's life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 am 
The trail to Upper Lena is not dangerous or technical, unless something has changed in recent years. Its a tougher climb than you'd guess looking at the map. Kids that age should do fine. It's a great spot.

Doomgoggles
Valar

Doomgoggles
Valar
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 9:28 am 
The only problem you might encounter is a creek crossing which can be tough during high snowmelt. (of course, you could just wade accross). A bad jump could end badly, though; it's close to a dropoff. Other than that, it's simply a rough steep trail - nothing unusual. I'm sure it's great when it's dry, but I've only done it in the rain. frown.gif (If you're looking for alternatives: consider Royal Basin)

Now for wrath, now for ruin...and the Red Dawn!
gareite

gareite
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 9:45 am 
I have made the trip many times, and have never found it "dry" on the upper reaches. Not many views until you reach the upper lake either. Its a steep nasty hike, but for my money its a matter of being mentally ready for it. I attempted 2 hikes there with very fit people, but they just were not willing to expend the energy to finish it. ( the further into the hike you get, the tougher it gets)

Glen in Oly
tofu chafing

tofu chafing
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 11:14 am 
I was beginning to think all the adolescents were here on this board. hihi.gif Sending a couple to Upper Lena Lake to guard the outposts of our frontier makes alot of sense.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 1:15 pm 
Personally I'd recomend Royal Basin or Marmot Pass via Upper Big Quil. Trail or Upper Dungness River Trail. Just me though!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 5:51 am 
"A tough hike and fit partners not willing to expend the energy". Those comments by gareite epitomize the essence of our America. People don't have a clue about how those great calendar shots are taken; they don't know the pain it takes to get a spectacular shot. For fathers, like myself, hiking is a great way to teach children about hard things that give a great payback. My plan on this one is to pitch camp at Lower Lena to shave off a few miles before the real pain begins for my sons. They know about pain ( Mount Armstrong 2005, Tuck - Robin Lakes 2004) and expect no less on this trip. Also, thanks to the group for the other trip suggestions. I will be base camping at my dad's place at Cushman, so the best Oly hike suggestions will be duly noted for future trips.

baseball and hiking ... that's life!