Forum Index > Trail Talk > MVS moving to Munich
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostThu Oct 20, 2005 2:12 pm 
I saw a WTA report by Michael Stanton, mvs on this board, noting he is moving to Munich. I hope his excellent website, mountainwerks.org, will survive his move. I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of his Ptarmigan Traverse slide shows. Good luck to you Michael!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mvs

mvs
PostThu Oct 20, 2005 5:29 pm 
Hi Jim, thanks for the well-wishin'! It's been so awesome to live here. I've been here 8 years and in that time learned so much about the mountains and Washington. Met so many friendly hikers and climbers who are now life-long friends. Good luck to all, and be safe. Every now and then I'll check in. I'll keep updating my web site with trip reports of course, only they'll be less relevant on a day to day basis to life here. dizzy.gif --Michael

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 pm 
Best wishes mvs. I didn't meet you but attended your slide show. Fabulous pictures! up.gif Maybe you will need to take some yodeling lessons.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Oct 20, 2005 9:04 pm 
Damn! I met Michael one weekend at Lake Ann (Shuksan). Aside from his mountaineering and photographic accomplishments, he's one of the nicest guys you could ever run into. He'll be a real loss, to us and to the area. agree.gif Yeah, you Mike. So what's Munich done to deserve you? prod.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
mvs

mvs
PostFri Oct 21, 2005 3:22 am 
ouch David, since you are poking me with the stick I'd better answer lol.gif Well, the reasons are "manifold." (manyfold? oft-folded?). We've got 11-month old twins now, and I'd like to go as a family on those cool "hut to hut" hikes that Kris and I experienced on vacations in the Dolomites a few years ago. You can walk across the whole alps that way, with just a pack lunch and a jacket in your pack. Pretty cool! Also, I finished a big project at work here and was looking to do something' new and different (well, still computer programming, but different bits). I was lucky enough to find an interesting small company in Munich that would hire me despite fairly poor german language skills clown.gif . A family desire to go on a little adventure. Just living day to day in another country will be "high adventure" for us. The lifestyle will be very different: I'll be able to walk or take the subway to work, we'll have to function in a foreign-language world (lessons!). At my current job, I was always impressed by people coming from China, Europe, India, Brazil and getting a crash course in U.S. culture. I kind of wanted to experience that. It might be good for the chillin' too. Six weeks vacation doesn't hurt biggrin.gif . The mountains are really accessible, which is great for a busy dad. There is less of what we'd call wilderness, but still oceans of solitude in high places. It will certainly have it's rough days. No more 1 am post-SNL runs for tacos and a Slushee. bawl.gif Peanut butter is hard to find. Population density: pretty darn dense! But last week I was in Garmisch-Paternkirchen, in the country for just 3 days to get our apartment. I didn't have time to hike until midnight, but I silently climbed 3400 feet to the summit of Der Wank and looked down at the sleeping town far below. The Milky Way was as bright as I'd seen in the Okanogan, and the mountains were dark all around. I thought "it's worth it." I'll post a dispatch now and then, especially in the summer. Thanks for everyone's kind words! --Michael