Forum Index > Trip Reports > Maui 2005 - Adventures with Babysitting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David & Karen

David & Karen
PostWed Nov 30, 2005 10:43 am 
The dictionary definition of adventure is “an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks” – what sort of parents would take their baby on one of these? This was a very different trip than the ones we have done in the past. Camping was out as the options were high winds (Kanaha) heavy rains (Wainapanapa) or freezing cold (Haleakala). Fortunately we knew of someone who owned a condo in Kihei and were able to secure affordable accommodation. Plus we were able to convince Karen’s brother to come along to share both the cost and the babysitting duties. However the first of many ‘unknown risks’ cropped up when her brother – a man who had managed to avoid romantic entanglements for 36 years suddenly met a woman – and in an instant we became a party of five. The condo (Shores of Maui) was perfect for us; located near Charley Young & the Kama’ole beaches we had lots of good snorkeling and good boogie boarding plus fabulous sunsets every night.
Sunset
Sunset
Charley Young Beach
Charley Young Beach
Kasey had no problems sleeping on the beach so we were able to hang out there the whole day.
Kasey with backpack loaded up with things and knick knacks too
Kasey with backpack loaded up with things and knick knacks too
On day three we decided to go on a mini-adventure driving through West Maui to do a little snorkeling and to see how the other half lived. Every island is slightly different and we soon discovered that Maui had a traffic problem, then when we finally reached Ka'anapali we found out they had a major parking problem too. Soon we were seven dollars lighter and we had three hours to snorkel around Black Rock before we had to rescue the rental car. We got to take the first shift in the water while Kasey was given a tour of the resort and Kahekili Beach. The snorkeling was good but not great as the ocean was a little stirred up and that clouded the water.
Honu
Honu
As we were leaving the shore break got really nasty and soaked many of the affluent tourists sunning themselves on the beach. That was it for the ocean that day so we decided to take the long way around West Maui via an exciting/frightening little road. After an easy day lazing at Maluka Beach, one of the many 'turtle towns' in South Maui we were ready to tackle the famed Road to Hana. A beautiful drive it's famous for it's fabulous waterfalls like the Three Bears & Wailua Falls.
3 Bears - Waikani Falls
3 Bears - Waikani Falls
Wailua Falls
Wailua Falls
Black Sand Beach
Black Sand Beach
Our only complaint was that it took a long, long time to drive a mere 100 miles - twists, turns, traffic and often less than two full lanes. Another day of 'rest' hanging out at the local Kihei beaches then off on another adventure - Molokini. A half-sunken volcanic crater Molokini boasts the clearest water in Maui and some of the coolest snorkeling. We took a tour and the combination of an open bar and no baby made it a really special outing. Like kids on recess we slid down the slide, made faces at the glass of the boat and generally acted silly.
Turtle coming up for air
Turtle coming up for air
The next day the other half of our party had the car so they dropped us off on Oneloa Beach in West Maui while they went parasailing. The waves were too high for snorkeling but they were perfect for boogie boarding provided we could find a safe place away from all the rocks. After a little searching we found a spot and rode the best waves of our entire trip.
Oneloa Beach - West Maui
Oneloa Beach - West Maui
The next day was ours to use the car and we went on a hike of all things. Coming in just under four miles it wasn't really a hike but it still took three hours to get to the end because there was just so much to see. There were numerous waterfalls big & small but that was somewhat expected - the real treat were the Guava trees which filled the air with a heavenly scent. Another highlight was hiking past a massive banyan tree then through the dark tunnels of a bamboo forest - a one of a kind experience.
Waimoku Falls
Waimoku Falls
We went on another hike the next day but that wasn't intentional. The Ahihi-kina-u natural reserve is a protected area but it also has magnificent snorkeling that, thanks to a certain guidebook has attracted droves of visitors. The state has countered this by eliminating all the parking along the road and obscuring the access trail. We made the mistake of trying to reach a feature called the Fishbowl via a signed trail in the designated parking area over a mile away. That trail soon dissipates to nothing (as it shows in the guidebook) and we were on our own lugging a baby, a full-sized playpen and all kinds of other paraphernalia over the sharpest, nastiest terrain we have ever faced. We made it - the Fishbowl was magnificent and we took the easy 20-minute trail back to the road on the return.
Snorkeling at the Fishbowl
Snorkeling at the Fishbowl
As badly as Thursday started out Friday was worse. 'Black Friday' started with a move to the couch of Karen's brother's room. Then we went on an aborted trip to Palauea (White Rock) Beach. A recent earthquake in Japan had created a deadly shore break so all water activities were off limits. The beach itself was pretty but piles of garbage and bums sleeping nearby soon had us on the move. We decided to drive to the top of Haleakala instead despite the fact that the summit was shrouded in cloud. Our guidebook assuaged our fears by saying that the 10,023ft summit often rose above the clouds. Well this day it didn't and with zero visibility we didn't stay up there long. Since the waves were inordinately high anyway we thought it would be a good idea to check out the surfers Ho'okipa Beach.
Quintessential Hawai'i
Quintessential Hawai'i
We were treated to quite a show although we were unable to capture much of it as our $1000 digital camera chose that moment to stop working. With no car the next day, we had only Sunday to do everything we still wanted to do in Maui. It started with a debate between snorkeling at La Perouse Bay and making another attempt at Haleakala. In the end we decided to do both. Fortunately things worked out and we were treated to both excellent snorkeling and fabulous views from the summit of Haleakala.
David & Kasey sitting in the A'a - La Perouse Bay
David & Kasey sitting in the A'a - La Perouse Bay
Pano of Haleakala Crater
Pano of Haleakala Crater
So we had our adventure - Kasey survived and all is well that ends well. It was a lot of work, far more than we first imagined but in the end we can say: "We did it!" (Cue the Dora the Explorer dance) *additional pics on our web site

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Nov 30, 2005 11:12 am 
Beautiful pics up.gif I want a backpack like Kasey's - very upbeat!

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/

PostWed Nov 30, 2005 11:28 am 
wub.gif Thanks for the inspiration. I'm sitting on 120,000 miles. I'm cashing them in on two tickets ASAP. Really sad about Palauea Beach. Been there quite few times and there were small amounts of liter around the parking, none on the beach and no bums. doh.gif What did you use for the underwater shot? Great photos!

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Dec 01, 2005 1:16 pm 
I am so jealous! I haven't been to Maui yet, but now I really, really wanna go! If for no other reason than to continue my search for the perfect mai-tai (so far, Zelo's in Hanalei is the winner, followed closely by a little dive in Hilo that I can't remember the name of).

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 10:51 am 
JenJen....please wrack your brain as I need to know. Susie and I will be in Hilo on Jan 15 and I'm sure a mai tai or three would slide down aweful easy after the flights.....mahalo..... David and Karen....beautiful pictures....great reporting.....ahhhhhhhh Hawaii......... dizzy.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm 
That's what Waimoku falls looks like! we were just in Maui over Halloween, and hiked partway there our next to last day. We were beat from the previous few days, including a two night backpacking trip into Haleakala, so we stopped short of the falls (I know, it's a short hike, but it'll still be there!). Nice pictures. Glad you had a good time.

Knows literally nothing
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Dec 02, 2005 9:22 pm 
Lookout Bob wrote:
JenJen....please wrack your brain as I need to know. Susie and I will be in Hilo on Jan 15 and I'm sure a mai tai or three would slide down aweful easy after the flights.....mahalo.....
Best Chubbyhubby and I can do is recall that it was "Tahiti" something or other... It was in the downtown part of Hilo, not where all the hotels are. Of the hotels, Uncle Billy's did not have a bad mai-tai. Not the best I've ever had, but definitely not the worst either.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic

PostFri Dec 02, 2005 9:48 pm 
The best mai tai? The one I had a Mama's Fish House for $10 eek.gif was nice, but the free ones at a hotel luau were the best. they had a bar set up with a few hundred pre-made drinks and when you went up to get one, the bartender would top them off with more dark rum. There are many recipes, but the key is lots of good dark rum, IMNSHO.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Dec 10, 2005 6:05 pm 
On the other side of the Big Island from Hilo, on the southern end of Kona, the bar at the Outrigger Keauhou is a nice place to have a mai tai. It's built on pilings over the water so you look right down into crystal clear water and see turtles and fish. This is particularly fascinating after a few drinks. Also, since it's on the west side, it's a good sunset drink spot.