Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Official hiker's song?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mgd

mgd
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm 
Would it be this or something else? drink.gif Stand, REM Stand in the place where you live Now face North Think about direction Wonder why you haven’t Now stand in the place where you work Now face West Think about the place where you live Wonder why you haven’t before If you are confused check with the sun Carry a compass to help you along Your feet are going to be on the ground Your head is there to move you around, so… Stand in the place where you live Now face North Think about direction Wonder why you haven’t Now stand in the place where you work Now face West Think about the place where you live Wonder why you haven’t before Your feet are going to be on the ground Your head is there to move you around If wishes were trees the trees would be falling Listen to reason Season is calling Stand in the place where you live Now face North Think about direction Wonder why you haven’t Now stand in the place where you work Now face West Think about the place where you live Wonder why you haven’t before If wishes were trees the trees would be falling Listen to reason Reason is calling Your feet are going to be on the ground Your head is there to move you around, so… Stand Now face North Think about direction Wonder why you haven’t Now stand Now face West Think about the place where you live Wonder why you haven’t So stand

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 7:32 pm 
I always thought it was the "Hey bear!" song that one sings when you think you're near one! lol.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm 
I always thought it was this old wobblie ditty Scissorbill's Song (Tune: (America) (from uric/a ted earlty Seattle edition) Ova tannas Siam Geeva tannas Siam Ove tannas. Sucha tannas Siam Ino kan giffa dam Osucha nas Siam Osucha nas! sing it loud and sing it proud!! twirl.gif party.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 7:56 pm 
I always though it was this one:
Quote:
The Happy Wanderer I love to go a-wandering, Along the mountain track, And as I go, I love to sing, My knapsack on my back. Chorus: Val-deri,Val-dera, Val-deri, Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha Val-deri,Val-dera. My knapsack on my back. I love to wander by the stream That dances in the sun, So joyously it calls to me, "Come! Join my happy song!" I wave my hat to all I meet, And they wave back to me, And blackbirds call so loud and sweet From ev'ry green wood tree. High overhead, the skylarks wing, They never rest at home But just like me, they love to sing, As o'er the world we roam. Oh, may I go a-wandering Until the day I die! Oh, may I always laugh and sing, Beneath God's clear blue sky!
I have a version of it done by Brave Combo that Brian Curtis was nice enough to send me one day.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
greg

greg
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 8:10 pm 
It's this one I'm sure: Mother's Lament (traditional) Are we rolling? A one, a two, a three, a four... A mother was washing her baby one night; The youngest of ten and a delicate mite. The mother was poor and the baby was thin; 'Twas naught but a skeleton covered with skin. The mother turned 'round for a soap off the rack. She was only a moment but when she turned back Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried, "Oh, where has my baby gone?" The angels replied: Oh, your baby has gone down the plug hole. Oh, your baby has gone down the plug. The poor little thing was so skinny and thin, He should have been washed in a jug, in a jug. Your baby is perfectly happy; He won't need a bath anymore. He's a-muckin' about with the angels above, Not lost but gone before. Do you want to do it again?

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 8:47 pm 
retro.
Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya Oh lord, kumbaya . Someone's singing lord, kumbaya etc Someone's dancing lord, kumbaya etc Someone's weeping lord, kumbaya etc. Someone's shouting lord, kumbaya etc. Someone's praying lord, kumbaya etc.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 9:25 pm 
Snowbrushy, I like that song, but wish they had not included the latin etc. It is overused and makes the singer sound like an ignoramus. I always try and mumble them. etc The whole song should have been done in English.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 9:27 pm 
Non Retro.
Here's my favorite by Tull. Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day Meanwhile back in the year One --- when you belonged to no-one --- you didn't stand a chance son, if your pants were undone. `Cause you were bred for humanity and sold to society --- one day you'll wake up in the Present Day --- a million generations removed from expectations of being who you really want to be. Skating away --- skating away --- skating away on the thin ice of the New Day. So as you push off from the shore, won't you turn your head once more --- and make your peace with everyone? For those who choose to stay, will live just one more day --- to do the things they should have done. And as you cross the wilderness, spinning in your emptiness: you feel you have to pray. Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind (!) has written you into the Passion Play. Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day. And as you cross the circle line, the ice-wall creaks behind --- you're a rabbit on the run. And the silver splinters fly in the corner of your eye --- shining in the setting sun. Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense? Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience? Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 9:32 pm 
I only recently realized that "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and "The Alphabet Song" have the same, exact tune. True story! (if I was going to lie about something, trust me - this wouldn't be it).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 9:50 pm 
I would think it would be "feet don't fail me now" lol.gif lol.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 pm 
For some strange reason I always think of the song from Cheech and Chongs "Ear ache my eye" when I am marching. My momma talkin to me tryin to tell me how to live But I dont listen to her cause my head is like a seive My basketball coach he done kicked me off the team For wearin high heeled sneakers and acting like a queen My daddy he disowned me cause I wear my sisters clothes As long as I can have a limo and my orange hair He caught me in the bathroom with a pair of pantyhose Cause I'm a big rock star and I'm making lots of money And it dont bother me if people think I'm funny The worlds comin to an end and I dont even care Money, money, money, money, money And I only know three chords I'm so bloody rich I own apartment buildings and shopping centers rocker.gif

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 11:45 pm 
I would walk 500 miles... Speakers on, of course. Lyrics: (from Lyrics on Demand) When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you But I would walk 500 miles And I would walk 500 more Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles To fall down at your door When I'm working yes I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who's working hard for you And when the money comes in for the work I'll do I'll pass almost every penny on to you When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you But I would walk 500 miles And I would walk 500 more Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles To fall down at your door When I'm lonely yes I know I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the man whose lonely without you When I'm dreaming yes I know I'm gonna dream Dream about the time when I'm with you. But I would walk 500 miles And I would walk 500 more Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles To fall down at your door

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Dante

Dante
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 4:47 pm 
Put One Foot in Front of the Other > >Chorus (Kris Kringle): >Put one foot in front of the other, >And soon you'll be walking cross the floor. >Put one foot in front of the other, >And soon you'll be walkin' out the door. > >Verse 1 (Kris Kringle): >You never will get where you're going, >If you never get up on your feet. >Come on, there's a good tail wind blowin', >A fast walking man is hard to beat. > >(Kris and ensemble): Chorus > >Verse 2 (Kris Kringle): >If you want to change your direction, >If your time of life is at hand. >Well don't be the rule, be the exception. >A good way to start is to stand. > >(Kris and ensemble): Chorus > >Verse 3 (Winter Warlock): >If I want to change the reflection, >I see in the mirror each morn? >(Kris Kringle: Oh you do?) >You mean that it's just my election? >(Kris Kringle: Just that!) >To vote for a chance to be reborn. > >(Men's chorus): >You put one foot in front of the other, and >Soon you are walking cross the floor. >You put one foot in front of the other, and >Soon you are walking out the door.

Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer

Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 2:01 pm 
I only remember a couple verses from songs I learned in grade school. I saw rain upon the river Joy is like the rain bit by bit the river grows then all at once it overflows Joy is like the rain I saw clouds upon the mountains Joy is like the clouds Sometimes silver sometimes gray Always sun not far away Joy is like the clouds and... Above the plains of gold and green a young boys head is plainly seen Ahoya hoya hoya... swiftly flowing river Ahoya hoya hoya... swiftly flowing river After reading about Tazz's Hood adventure and other's wild winter adventures, I like this one by Yes. (Jon Anderson/Chris Squire) A river a mountain to be crossed The sunshine in mountains sometimes lost Around the south side so cold that we cried Were we ever colder on that day A million miles away It seemed from all of eternity Move forward was my friend's only cry In deeper to somewhere we could lie And rest for the the day with cold in the way Were we ever colder on that day A million miles away It seemed from all of eternity The moments seemed lost in all the noise A snow storm a stimulating voice Of warmth of the sky Of warmth when you die Were we ever warmer on that day A million miles away It seemed from all of eternity The sunshine in mountains sometimes lost The river can disregard the cost And melt in the sky warmth when you die Were we ever warmer on that day a million miles away We seemed from all of eternity

---------------------
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 4:45 pm 
"Happy Trails"?

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf