Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Read any good ones lately?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ecnalubmA

ecnalubmA
PostFri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 pm 
I just finished a book titled "Dry" by Augusten Burroghs. -A absolute heelarious read IMO. In a nutshell, a memoir about a guy who has had a really messed up childhood, becomes succesful in advertising, and lands himself in a gay rehab where his new "sober" life begins. It is a funny,heartbreaking, and moving story, but his writing style and descriptive vocabulary had me laughing out loud. Anyone else been reading anything good out there this winter or have suggestions for summer reads.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 12:28 am 
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 1:48 am 
Chuck Palahnuik and Augusten Burroughs. Off to the right start here. I read Fight Club most recently - actually felt the movie was better (darker, if you can believe it), but Diary (good) and Survivor (better) were also really really good. I read Running With Scissors by Burroughs for a class a year or so back. Funny and dimented. They're making a movie of it. I can't wait. It's gonna be sooooo messed up. biggrin.gif Also been (trying to) reading a lot of Neil Gaiman recently. American Gods was kinda slow, but a really interesting story. I'd love to see a movie or TV adaptation of it. Of note to Gaiman fans, both Coraline and Books of Magic are being given the silver screen treatment.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 9:32 am 
Attack Poodles and Other Media Mutants: The Looting of the News in a Time of Terror / James Wolcott Cartographica Extraordinaire: The Historical Map Transformed / David Rumsey The Seven Storey Mountain / Thomas Merton The Life and Death of Planet Earth / Peter D. Ward The Scorpion's Gate / Richard A. Clarke David Boring / Daniel Clowes

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Spotly

Spotly
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 am 
"XML for .Net Developers" Another dry read in the "Professional" series by the geeks at wrox. Some riveting sections interspersed with occasional technical errors and topped of with the signature amusing-developer-photos on the cover. Recommended for those who absolutely need to know.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Chuck Palahnuik
He made an appearance at the UW a couple years ago where he read a short story he had written about an entire police force making - uh...time with a toy doll, and eventually the toy doll got even with them with a razor blade, or something. It wasn't exactly my bag, but man, that guy can write. Im fascinated with the Enron trial & have been following that incident for years; gonna check out a book at the libbary about it this afternoon, if they'll let me in the door. Last time I was at the libbery , I made a spectacle out of myself. As a result, I read industry-specific stuff about the Sarbanes-Oxley Act & how it affects business in America and American busineesses doing business in foreign countries. Then I usually read the comics. Sometimes I forget which I'm reading, and have to look at the title.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 2:30 pm 
I'm currently being forced through "Pharmacotherapy, A Pathophysiological approach" by Dipiro, et al. I don't recommend it. If I can still see straight after that, I recently picked up "The Unabridged Jack London". I've been reading him since grade school and it is interesting to read what I've missed. I also have "The Complete Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway". There are some good ones in there. A little while ago I read "Ecotopia" by Earnest Callenbach. That was a cool story, but the way he flipped back and forth between diary entries and newspaper article format grew tedious after a while. It's a pretty short book, though. I've kept a copy of "The Wilderness World of John Muir" around since Jr. High to re-read occasionally. It's pretty good. "Blood Brothers" by Elias Chacour is a good first hand account of a Palestinian in the 1940s and 50s. I've been reading Patrick McManus's column every month in "Outdoor Life" (The column is called "The Last Laugh") since I was a kid. I also read any of his books I can get my hands on. I think the last one I read was "The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw". My favorites are "Never Sniff A Gift Fish" and "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They". He is hands down the most entertaining outdoor writer there is. (IMHO) "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett is pretty good. Parts may seem dry, especially if you have no medical interest. However, she does a good job of explaining how we're all screwed.