Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hikes in Wenatchee?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostThu Mar 16, 2006 7:55 pm 
Aside from mission ridge, isn't there a hike in Wenatchee like number 2 canyon? Anyone know how to get there. I am going to be in Wenatchee this weekend, and I do not know how to get there, or if anyone there will know directions. Thanks

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Mar 16, 2006 9:06 pm 
If you are looking for a hike "IN" Wenatchee, I'd sure recommend the 10 mile loop trail along both sides of the Columbia River, accessible at a number of spots. Actually, I prefer it as a bike ride, since it is a paved trail. Bikes are available for rental at a couple of places, I believe. There is a nice little side trip for wetlands exploration where the Wenatchee River flows into the Columbia. If you want to drive 45 minutes south of Wenatchee toward Quincy you can certainly explore the Ancient Lakes/Dusty Lake area, which would be snow-free and more importantly, snake-free right now. Just do a search of this site and I'm sure you'll find some good TRs on that area.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Mar 16, 2006 11:19 pm 
There's mountains all around the valley. Pick one, drive to the base, and walk up it. wink.gif Head up Horselake. Or dink around on Mission Ridge using the ski area parking lot as a base camp.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostThu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 pm 
#2 Canyon is an old logging road hike that takes you to the top of Twin Peaks and then down into Monitor or Cashmere depending on which fork you take. It's not a bad spot and the view from the top is really great. To get there drive up any of the main east-west streets in town until you hit Western Ave. Turn south and just keep on following it. It turns into #2 Canyon Road. I'm not sure how far you can drive up it, but it's obvious when you get to the right place as there's a sharp bend to the left and one of those signed gates with the hiker, horse, bicylist, etc. You can also hike up Saddle Rock, Rooster Comb or the old Mine Road, all from a parking area next to the Appleatchee Stables at the end of Miller St., (one of the Main drags in town). Just follow Miller south and it'll turn right into the hills for about 1/4 mile where the parking area is located. Any of these hikes turn into really neat ridge hikes that can take you as far up into the hills as you'd care to go, (to Misssion Ridge if you'd like). If you go up river about a mile from Rocky Reach Dam you can turn west into Swakane Canyon. Go about 3 miles and stop at the old hay barn. You can take the old logging road from there all the way up over the ridge and into Ardenvoir or Entiat or just stay on the ridge and come out at Maverick Saddle and Fish Lake, (or the Larch Lakes up the Entiat if you go as far as possible on the trail system) . A great bike ride when the snow's gone. It rained pretty hard today and if it's still raining I would suggest the Old Mine road as it's graveled and not too muddy. The other hikes just out of town have the stickiest mud you have ever seen, when it's wet, and if you try to kick it off, your leg will come with it. shakehead.gif Here's a pic from the ridge above Saddle Rock.
Picture looking North of Wenatchee from above Saddle Rock
3 labels
Picture looking North of Wenatchee from above Saddle Rock

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostFri Mar 17, 2006 4:57 pm 
Cool, thanks for all the info. I have actually done the Wenatchee Loop before. I think that I will try either the Saddle Rock area or #2 area. Hopefully the weather is better than Thursday. That seems like a good place to get a view of the valley. Maybe I'll drive up to Fancher too and get a pic from the other direction. Thanks a bunch, I'll post a report if the weather is decent.

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!