Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 8:22 pm 
Quote:
cats on the other hand.. sheesh.. is there one who DOESN'T jump onto counters? you may not see it, but it's probably happening..
Yep. Wintertime especially the critter has muddy paws when she comes back in and mine doesn't go up there. Give them enough other high places to hang out and they may stay off the counter. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 8:25 pm 
Just took 2 pusses to the vet yesterday, and Bubba was diagnosed as having, uhh... big bones. So to loose weight, the doc suggested twice a day feeding. Give 1/4 cup of food in the morning, then at night when I get home. No cornucopia of snacks all day.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm 
Jeeves is STILL fat? Dang, good thing you never took him to the vet when he actually WAS fat!! eek.gif Jeeves used to look like the rock singer "Meat Loaf" in his younger days. Jeeves's younger days, not Meat Loaf's. (meatloaves?)

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 8:59 pm 
marylou wrote:
Jeeves is STILL fat?
He's not fat! huh.gif He's just big boned.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 pm 
Quark wrote:
So to loose weight, the doc suggested twice a day feeding.
We always fed our cats only twice per day, either one can of fancy feast per meal or 1/2 can of Friskies. They always lived long, healthy lives - one lived almost 17 years before internal organ failures forced us to put him down. They were always allowed to go outooors whenever they wanted and do whatever, so whatever they caught supplemented their diets and they were frequently not hungry for the canned slop we presented them with. Rarely did we give them "treats", otherwise they were very happy creatures.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 11:19 pm 
I've never gone the wet food route, opting instead for the constant food bowl of dry IAMS. Cats go outside and tend to live long happy lives eating whenever they feel like it. *Disclaimer: I have always raised them from kittens, and suspect I tend to pick the skinny ones, because they never turn out to be fatties.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 pm 
So anyone have a success story with adding another adult cat to a household that already has an adult cat in it? My little cat seems to need a mature male cat to help out with defending the perimeter, so to speak. Some big male to keep other cats from poaching on the house. I'm not experienced with mixing adult cats in the same household.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Mar 26, 2006 11:54 pm 
marylou wrote:
So anyone have a success story with adding another adult cat to a household that already has an adult cat in it? My little cat seems to need a mature male cat to help out with defending the perimeter, so to speak. Some big male to keep other cats from poaching on the house. I'm not experienced with mixing adult cats in the same household.
Our adult male cat Gretchen (it was a "he" - long story) kept our new kitten Bozo (looked just like Bill Clinton) confined to just certain areas of the house and yard. Bozo was a great bird-catching cat, but was always subordinate to Gretchen right up till his last days (Bozo eventually gave up the fight to cancer). Bozo was big-time food steeler from Gretchen, which probably caused a rivalry betweeen the two. Either way, treat the two cats equally, but don't expect them to always get along. They are very territorial and one might go to great lengths to get your attention over the other, typically with the strongest winning.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Mar 27, 2006 8:15 am 
Unfortunately, my experience has been that the best you can expect from introducing another adult cat is a testy cease-fire marred by occasional skirmishes. They will sort of tolerate each other, but they won't be friends. It's a whole lot easier to introduce a kitten. The pecking order smooths itself out that way.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Justan

Justan
PostMon Mar 27, 2006 9:56 am 
marylou wrote:
So anyone have a success story with adding another adult cat to a household that already has an adult cat in it?
We’ve done it several times. There are a few techniques that help a lot, and you’ll need “Nature’s Miracle” or similar odor removal and a fluorescent black light. First is to introduce the addition to the house but to keep him, her or them separated from the group by a screen door. To this end we’ve used a couple of rooms downstairs for the new addition(s). The screen door between them and the regulars allows all to view and smell each other without presenting a threat. There is also the benefit that this location becomes “owned” by the new addition, and they will go to it for safety, and others won’t because they respect the other cat’s territory. We also give the new addition their own litter box and food. After a week or so, we permit the cats to mingle while being supervised, but separate them in the evenings. After a few weeks of this we open the screen door so they can come and go as they desire. At this point the worst of overt hostilities have mostly subsided, and we move the litterbox to a common area and also move the food so that the cats all eat in the same area. Food is a very important element for a new cat. We always make sure that each cat has their own food dish, and that they are not too close to other food dishes. We clip the cat’s front claws but not the backs, and make sure we give equal time to each cat so they don’t feel left out or slighted. After about 6 months they integrate pretty well and after about a year all are part of the same family. There is no real way to stop the pecking order from developing, but we discourage aggressive encounters. You will need to watch them very closely during the first 4-6 months. A cat's way of marking territory is to pee on it, and the combination of “Nature’s Miracle” and black light serves to identify the deposits and provide a tool to remove them.

-Justan Elk
quilter

quilter
PostMon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 am 
justybug wrote:
cats on the other hand.. is there one who DOESN'T jump onto counters? you may not see it, but it's probably happening..
Every Thanksgiving, my husband accuses the cat of jumping on the counter and licking the pumpkin pie. Of course, this event is never witnessed. Just that little mark on the pie. Which is from the potholder. But no telling him. The only sucess I've had with two cats is raising littermates. Success means they both use the litter box. And even with the littermates, it was a little iffy.