Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chuckanut Ridge, Vasque Mica Gtx, and Utilikilts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Apr 02, 2006 10:46 pm 
Catchy title huh hihi.gif This epic journey begins at GI Joes in Lynnwierd, a month ago, where Spindy tried on a pair of Vasque Mica Gtx boots one evening, but couldnt swallow the 130.00 price tag, so we left. Two weeks previous to this she had decided to throw out her only hiking boots, relegating us to only to beach walks and non mucky tennis shoe hikes since then. mad.gif Since that day she has tried on nearly every hiking boot we could find in the past four weeks, nothing has felt as good as the Vasques did , too her. Yesterday we go to REI downtown, so I can check out the GoLite packs, then we head upstairs to shoes. Spindy tries on every single boot they got in the whole place, poor REI salesgirl wanted to cry. While we are there, nearly 1.5 hours eek.gif , I notice a women with her lifepartner, dressed like Fonzie, only without the leather jacket, crisp white t shirt, pressed chinos, hair slicked back, black police dress type shoes, I guess its hard being a girl on the outside, but knowing inside you are a guy. At the same time two guys walk in to the shoe dept. in Utilikilts, so now I got girls dressed like guys on one side, and guys dressed like girls on the other. confused.gif So after all this Spindy decides she doesnt like any shoes ever bawl.gif She even tried on the Mica Gtx in about 40 different sizes and widths,but still she said nope. I was bummed cause I wanted to do a nice mucky hike, and all she had was her tennys waah.gif So we decide to make a last ditch trip back to GI Joes in Lynnwierd, maybe the pair they had was last years or something. They have one pair left in her size, they fit good, she takes them home. party.gif Today we drive to the end of Cleator road, in Larrabie state park, and hike the length of the Chuckanut ridge trail, to the intersection with the Lost lake trail, then back. I cant think of another trail, that in 3 miles, gives you more views for the mile. Baker, the Twin sisters, Bellingham, the San Juan islands, viewpoint after viewpoint, and nearly deserted today, a nice sunny spring day. Fanfrikintastic walk, with slimy rocks and rooty ruts her Vasques performed flawlessly. Spindy refusing to take them off in favor of her comfy Sauconys, she rode home the whole way back to Seattle in them, even wearing them into Freddies for some food. Cant wait till next week, now I can drag her to some good places devilsmile.gif C.J. Haze and clouds on aformentioned peaks and islands prevented me from taking snazzy pictures, but I did get confused by the myriad of choices presented on this sign. hockeygrin.gif
choices choices
choices choices

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostMon Apr 03, 2006 10:26 am 
I must reply that I like the utilikilt concept but am likely not to try one for three reasons. One, I would look especially ridiculous given the chicken legs I'm sporting these days. Two, the $200+ price tag eek.gif Three, I don't have the stones to put one on in public. I mean, you only really see them at REI or events like the Fremont Sunday market, and I'm a pretty reserved guy. I can only imagine the reactions you might get in places like Hoodsport or Granite.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 pm 
agree.gif What if there's switchbacks on the trail, you look up at utilikilt hiking dude and hairy.gif Some things in life are not meant to be seen, including mens hairy a's, and what if the wind blows? If theres no longer a need for a zipper, why not just find something seasonal in the wife or girlfriends closet to wear. Whats the difference? Capt. You can pry my stonewashed 501's out of my cold, dead hands. clown.gif

Phil

Phil
PostTue Apr 04, 2006 7:07 am 
Strong points. However, the kilts I've seen are far more manly than anything in my wife's closet. Either way, bottom line they're not for me.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 04, 2006 8:07 am 
Utilikilts are very fine on guys who can wear them. Yum. I am getting my fiance one as a wedding gift...he has always wanted one-and I sure wouldn't mind hiking behind him makeout.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Apr 04, 2006 4:34 pm 
Phil wrote:
I mean, you only really see them at REI or events like the Fremont Sunday market.
Not true. I have seen a guy wearing one on the trail. Mt. Si to be specific. Dang, too bad I didn't pass them on the upper half when I could have looked back up the switchback.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 04, 2006 4:51 pm 
Quote:
a women with her lifepartner, dressed like Fonzie, only without the leather jacket, crisp white t shirt, pressed chinos, hair slicked back, black police dress type shoes, I guess its hard being a girl on the outside, but knowing inside you are a guy.
That sounds like one of my colleagues. Shall I ask her if "it's hard being a girl on the outside, but knowing inside you are a guy"? Wow, it just gets worse around here. shakehead.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods