Forum Index > Trip Reports > Racehorse Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David & Karen

David & Karen
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 4:46 pm 
Ladies & gentlemen, welcome to our latest trip report – a half-mile trek along Racehorse Creek to an out of the way waterfall. Yesterday’s event featured a field of seven: Ourselves, baby Kasey, Grandma and our hosts Buster, Jenjen & ChubbyHubby. They graciously welcomed us to their barn (and their house for that matter) to prepare for the event. Once ready there was a slight delay as Jenjen chased her suicidal Guinea fowl from the front of her Subaru and we're off! Thanks to some excellent directions from this website and the fact that our hosts had scouted the site we arrived at the trailhead without issue. The path is relatively level in the GPS sense but there were some ups & downs – mostly avoiding blowdown and various mud holes. Down the stretch they come! Soon the falls came into site, plummeting full & frothy into a mossy green canyon. The locals have installed a rope swing and in the summer this must be quite the hangout. Jenjen did her part to keep this place beautiful by picking up any the garbage she found lying around. As we neared the finish line the tripods came out – Karen with her Canon setup and ChubbyHubby armed with a Nikon. The winner? Well all of us really, but here is the photo finish:
Racehorse Falls
Racehorse Falls
Buster in the Lead
Buster in the Lead

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 5:27 pm 
Nice Trip Report D&K! I found that hike in a 'Whatcom Day Hikes' (third edition) book by Ken Wilcox and ventured out there some years ago (Oct 8, 2000 per my log) with my sister because we had some spare time. Quite the coincidence that I happen to be thinking about that trail on Saturday as a possible upcoming family hike. Glad you had fun, glad you got to meet up with JenJen and great pictures! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 7:21 pm 
*GASP* Another top secret hike posted! wink.gif It was fun hooking up with the D&K gang for an expedition. And yes, you guys win the photo race. Chubbyhubby has his photos processed, but not up on the net yet. - And now you all know where I'll be hanging out when it gets beastly hot. up.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Apr 09, 2006 11:14 pm 
You mean the waterfall across the street from you doesn't have a big enough swimming hole? clown.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:03 am 
It's not the swimming there that's the problem, it's the unique aroma of hot dumpsters wafting about in the breeze. Besides, I'd have to rig my own rope swing.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 5:04 pm 
I think a rope swing would firmly deposit you in the yard of the people on the other side of that funky Alpenhause-whatever place.

l

l
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 5:36 pm 
Enjoyed the clever TR. I bet a deuce on the pic of Buster. Where can I cash my ticket?