Forum Index > Trail Talk > Has anyone been to Iceberg Notch in Glacier Nat. Park?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 4:50 pm 
The notch is the link between Iceberg Lake and Ahern Pass... Gordon Edwards (the Glacier guru on climbing) says it is Class 3... his definition of Class 3 is "Small cliffs on the route may be difficult, and steep scree may require great exertion, but there is little danger of physical injury if reasonable caution is exercised"... I would appreciate your thoughts on getting to the notch from the lake...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 am 
I've never been, but it looks pretty steep and high on my topo map of the area I picked up last summer when I was out there. But there is a place you can find out. Post your question here. You'll get plenty of responses.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 3:58 pm 
The Glacier chat page is not operating and I didn't see any posts this year... Since you have been to Glacier... did you by chance do Grinnell Point, Mt. Grinnell, or Altyn Peak... all 3 are in the Many Glacier area... any thoughts on these 3 would be appreciated...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 7:27 pm 
No, I didn't get to the Many Glacier area. I only had two days and no car, so I managed a couple of good dayhikes and that was it. Both were from the Logan pass area. That's weird that the chat page isn't working. huh.gif

Don

Don
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 7:31 pm 
It's a piece of cake. But expect loose scree big time, as is typical for the area. agree.gif

orin

orin
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm 
I haven't been to the notch although I've read a couple of descriptions of the route. One said there is a single short but nasty pitch. It can be done without assistance but only by someone who is very careful and not averse to major exposure. Many people would want a belay. The website suggested above has been suplanted at least for awhile by http://glacierparkchat.com/chat/ Its not climbing oriented but you might get some responses. orin

Don

Don
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 7:57 pm 
I should expand on my earlier post. I did the notch from the Granite Park Chalet side to Iceberg Lake the first week of August after having climbed Mt. Gould. I thought it was pretty easy going, much easier than written reports of the route. I would only be concerned of doing it too early in the season and having to deal with snow banks. They could add some challenge as the transition from snow to class 3 rock is typically not much fun. Gordon Edwards is an excellent source for climbing info. I have just found thru experience that routes in general seem to be described as more difficult in GNP than the Cascades. If you are accustomed to off-trail travel here, you will be fine there (but you must love loose rock and scree!) I guess I assumed this in my previous post, having read many of your previous posts hockeygrin.gif I would highly recommend monitoring the chat link as it should be up and running soon (unless there are tech difficulties I am not aware of). As already mentioned, it is a wealth of information, and yes, climbers do frequent it. Don Edit: It is up and running!

Don

Don
PostFri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 pm 
Rag & Rod, Gordon Edwards has a nice sketch of the area in question in his book A Climber's Guide to GNP. Do you have access to it? Don