Forum Index > Trail Talk > Am I nuts?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 7:33 am 
polarbear- wrote:
I have yet to hike in a creepy place but then I've never been to Sinister Peak, Mt. Terror, Mt. Despair, Mt. Prophet, Damnation Peak, Ripsaw Ridge, Mt. Fury, Mt. Formidable... eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif bawl.gif Are there others?
Polar: Mt. Terror holds an especially creepy feeling for me. Way back in the dim past, we had climbed the peak in deteriorating weather. Multiple rappels in mist and fog to get off the peak into the cirque were truly scary. Didn't know what we were rapelling into, and then trying to find anchors. Didn't like it at all.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:52 am 
Crater Lake
was the spookiest place I've ever been. A solo hike a few years ago to a truly gorgeous but sinister place. It was a cloudy, overcast day and there was no one else on the trail. I got to the lake and my first impression was that it was a beautiful spot indeed but I felt immediately uneasy and spooked. I felt like I was being watched. I felt like the place didn't want me there. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Karen PS The kind of terrain that creeps me out is that second-growth type forest of lodgepole pines where the trees grow so close together they are in the shade, there is no sun, no vegetation, not even a hint of sky. I feel like I can't breathe and I hike through that terrain as fast as I can with the feeling that "something" or "someone" is right behind me. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:57 am 
Another creepy place
is near the outlet of Lake Isobel. Last time I was there it had rained, the ground was damp but there was a sleeping bag laying out near the outlet stream that was DRY and nobody else around. I didn't care for THAT and was glad others were with me. Also, it was the WRONG kind of sleeping bag if you know what I mean -- one of those thin, car-camping sleeping bags, not the kind we'd use outdoors. I also get the creeps sometimes when I run into those big blue tarps rolled up behind bushes in some remote place. Another time (in the Teanaway) we were on a faint trail and came to a hunters camp where someone had nailed the skull of a cow or a deer to a tree but that wasn't as creepy as that abandoned sleeping bag at the lake. Go figure. Karen

Larry

Larry
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:58 pm 
Karen wrote:
Does anyone else like to create images like these or is just me? I love to take an image from my digital camera and go wild with color and mood but I don't see images like these ever posted. Must be because most photographers are trying to capture the world as it looks but sometimes I like to impose a mood upon an image. This one is at first glance "pretty" but when I look at it longer it becomes a slightly ominous and sinister image with the barbed wire and the purple sky. Yet the touch of green signifies hope and growth. I spend hours on stuff like this. Does anyone else? Just curious, Karen
Hey Karen: All kidding aside, your images are really nice. Any chance of seeing more?

Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 2:42 pm 
Larry, I'll send more
bizarre photos along as they happen. In the meantime, here is a sane one!! Karen
yellow and orange tulips VG
yellow and orange tulips VG

Larry

Larry
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 2:48 pm 
Karen wrote:
bizarre photos along as they happen. In the meantime, here is a sane one!! Karen
There! See? How quick was that? Three minutes response time from me. And, I wasn't disappointed. The composition is great...the tulips seem to be alive and marching off the top of the image. Great hyperfocal depth of field. "Festive" comes to mind. A very "action" oriented photo, which is hard to achieve in groups of flowers. You need to get your stuff published, Karen. And no...I don't always say nice things about images. I'm honest that way...but you truly have a "touch" that is unique. I have a friend who lives in Seabeck who also seems to have that touch for composition. More, please. In fact, why don't you just stay on the computer for the next several days...just get yourself some granola bars and water. And, then just keep sending images to us...is that too much to ask? tongue.gif

El Puma

El Puma
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 3:03 pm 
On the subject of Tulips (unmodified), here's my latest requisition from the garden. Nikon 5000, manual focus, natural light, 5MP reduced via Photoshop to 20KB. I thought it almost looked like a closeup of some of Karen's tulips - great pix by the way, I like the perception of space!
sR-Tulip
sR-Tulip

Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:08 pm 
OK, Larry
here's another sane photo. El Puma, I like your tulip too. Nice shot. By the way anyone who is interested in photographing the flowers should go BEFORE April 1, the official opening date of the Skagit Tulip Festival. I went yesterday. Karen PS Larry, thanks for the compliment on my photos. I think some of my photographs ARE good but I've seen many photos on this site that are much better than mine, at least in my opinion.
Alone
Alone

Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:13 pm 
Just for you nuts ....
I dream in color. Karen
WILD Flowers
WILD Flowers

Larry

Larry
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:34 pm 
El Puma: Very nice shot! You homed in on the anthers nicely! Striking photo. Karen: I see blue! You dream in blue? I dream in colors too, but usually the colors are muted.

Larry

Larry
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 7:00 am 
STUNNING photos, Ulrich!

Mike

Mike
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 7:26 am 
I've got one too...
This is my first post on these forums (although I've been lurking around for some time), and just wanted to share my picture too! I did the same thing to a small waterfall in the Tahoma area of Mt. Rainier. Photoshopped it all in a big red bloom. Just wanted to share!
Old Growth Forest Waterfall (in Red)
Old Growth Forest Waterfall (in Red)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
redeye

redeye
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 7:32 am 
I like it. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 8:15 am 
The creepiest place I've been to is Anderson Glacier in the Olympics. I was on my first-ever solo backpack, and I took a dayhike up from Anderson Pass to the glacier. It was a weekday in September, totally isolated with a feeling of loneliness and desolation. It was cloudy with fog rolling in and out, around the peaks. The glacier seemed like a giant white corpse, and the dead lake surrounded by jumbled rocks reminded me of Tolkien's descriptions of Mordor! I imagined that if anything lived in that lake, then it was some sort of bleached-white sea monster with dead flesh hanging off of it. I had to scramble across a very large and difficult boulder field to reach the glacier, and I kept thinking about what if I broke my leg out there and had to spend the night, at least, waiting for the monster to come and devour me. Also the fog was thickening, and I felt like I would get lost in the boulder field and wander around hopelessly. I wouldn't have gone for a swim in that lake for a million dollars! I can still, about 8 years later, get a chill just by thinking about it.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 8:38 pm 
I don't think I've ever been to a creepy or spooky place in the mountains. I have been to places I'd lable forboding in that there was almost too much of a sense of solitude. For some reaons there is a difference between hiking through a flowery meadow, or ascending a ridge versus staring down into a vast closed valley when you are alone.