Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Neil Young's New Album
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:21 pm 
Quark wrote:
.....They were talking about Neil Young. 1) they didn't know who Neil Young is, and 2) they referred to him as "that old guy." Kids.... shakehead.gif
And the work he did with Pearl Jam was solid. It can be found on "Mirror Ball". What is notable about that album is the obvious respect that PJ had for Neil. Neil is clearly in the command seat from beginning to end. While Eddie and the boys had the name and the current fame to draw the younger audience component, the album sounds very little like Pearl Jam. Hey you friggin' yahoos. Take your bozo banter to one of the many other hijacked threads. This thread is special biggrin.gif .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:34 pm 
Neil Young just plain rocks. That man has earned my respect, and heck yes I'll be getting the new album. About the rest of what's going on in this thread. What gives? This isn't cabin fever anymore. The weather is gorgeous. The snow is melting quick. Trees are blossoming, birds are nesting, wild flowers are starting to come up. Outside with the lot of you! horsey.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:54 pm 
Quark wrote:
2) they referred to him as "that old guy." Kids.... shakehead.gif
He's been referred to as the Granddaddy of grunge too. I never understood that.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:57 pm 
Stones wrote:
Neil Young totally rules up.gif I've seen him in concert a number of times going back to the time he showed up at a Stephen Stills concert at UCLA Pauley Pavilion about 1974 (I'm old, man). He played a few tunes with Steve. We knew Neil would show up. I haven't seen him since the Rust Never Sleeps tour. But then I haven't been to any concert since Little Feat played on the pier in 1992. Neil Young just DOES get better as was said.
rocker.gif I first saw him at the Oakland Coliseum in 1973. It was a great concert. We saw him last when he was doing his acoustical tour in the late '90s. We went to both shows at the Paramount - outstanding. I sure hope this one is better than Greendale. I could not get into that album.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu May 18, 2006 10:13 pm 
Newt wrote:
He's been referred to as the Granddaddy of grunge too. I never understood that.
Plaid flannel shirt, stringy hair, and in-a-trance guitar solos (Southern Man, Down by the River). Though I don't think his guitar sounds grungy, so it must be the plaid shirt and stringy hair.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu May 18, 2006 11:30 pm 
From what I've heard in the last 15 years or so, Neil has gone country.................twangggggggg!!!!!!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 18, 2006 11:59 pm 
Yeah, love Niel Young myself. It's all good. clown.gif Now Pearl Jam, don't get me going. Ugh. Anything they've offered in the last 5 years is mediocre at best.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri May 19, 2006 12:12 am 
Tom wrote:
Yeah, love Niel Young myself. It's all good. clown.gif Now Pearl Jam, don't get me going. Ugh. Anything they've offered in the last 5 years is mediocre at best.
I've always been a fan of Neil myself, even with his newer, laid back style. Mark Knopfler has also aged with grace IMHO. Has anyone heard the latest Pearl Jam album, is it any good??

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri May 19, 2006 6:48 am 
Tom wrote:
Now Pearl Jam, don't get me going. Ugh. Anything they've offered in the last 5 years is mediocre at best.
Quote:
Has anyone heard the latest Pearl Jam album, is it any good??
up.gif Buy this album, if you like Pearl Jam- their best in years; maybe ever, IMNPHO!
Back to Neil Young- I just counted a total of 14 albums/CDs in my collection, from Buffalo Springfield to "Harvest Moon". I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Jonathon Demme film about his recent concert tour and illness, 'Heart of Gold", which will be on DVD June 13, I think. Demme is the same guy who did "Stop Making Sense" for the Talking Heads, probably the best concert MOVIE ever!

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
l

l
PostFri May 19, 2006 9:23 am 
polecatjoe wrote:
Demme is the same guy who did "Stop Making Sense" for the Talking Heads, probably the best concert MOVIE ever!
I gotta go with, "The Last Waltz." A nice blend of music and guest appearances with some funny stories spliced in. Robbie Robertson tells a great one about a joint owned by Jack Ruby. The film is directed by Martin Scorcese.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri May 19, 2006 10:10 am 
Slugman wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Sorry charlie, but the DOES was in reference to this topic belonging in the DC.
The quote of "Neil Young just DOES get better as was said" was obviously refering to the previous comment that "I've heard some of his songs and it seems that he just keeps getting better". It was not in any way shape or form a comment on your statement that the political comments belong in the DC.
Thanks Slugman - you read that correctly.

Let me stand next to your fire