Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gothic Basin (almost)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 7:24 pm 
Short version: We (Dani, Jasper and me) hinked to within a hundred vertical feet of Gothic Basin before a fairly steep stretch and our lack of ice axes kept us from proceeding further. Longer version: I had never been on the Monte Cristo road until yesterday. Gothic Basin sounded and looked intriguing to us. The recent sunny weather made us forget that it had been a decent snow year and it was still June. We parked at Barlow Pass and started walking the road. Shortly after passing the gate a couple yahoos (or so I thought) parked their truck right in front of the gate. I said to Dani, "Can't they read the sign that says no parking right there?" Well, turns out they had a key and unlocked the gate and drove right by us. We arrived at the bridge and saw the sign for Weden Creek Trail #724. Another vehicle was parked here. Apparently some people can obtain keys to drive up the road. Anyone know how/why? For a road, it was actually a pleasant walk, and the history of the townsite may bring me back soon. Views from the trail were nice.
Silvertip Peak
Silvertip Peak
We encountered a small creek and decided to take off our shoes rather than trust the log perched across the raging torrent. The cold water felt good. Soon after this the trail started to get steeper. Then it steepened some more. Then, when I thought it couldn't get any steeper, it did. Finally it levelled out and we came to the first of the three gullies that I had read about in the guidebooks. The first one still had a good amount of snow and might be a bit dicey in a few days with these warm temperatures. The second and third were no problem.
Jasper did the advance scouting for us
Jasper did the advance scouting for us
We soon encountered snow. The way was easy to follow as there was a good set of prints from previous hikers. Jasper needed to cool off.
Shade and snow cool off a hot dog
Shade and snow cool off a hot dog
Another steep stretch brought us to within shouting distance of Gothic Basin (I think).
Gothic Basin is just below and to the left of the peak
Gothic Basin is just below and to the left of the peak
We met up with the group of 4 that had left the trailhead shortly after we arrived. They were hoping to summit Del Campo and come down the same day. Seemed like a late start to me (~9:30 when they left the trailhead) but it light late this time of year. We chatted for a minute and Jasper checked out their ice axes. He was probably wondering why we hadn't brought ours. Smart dog. Dumb owner (me). Dani and I ate our sandwiches here while Jasper chewed on a stick. We then decided to see what the last steep push was like. We should have brought our axes with us. I made it to within 30 feet of what looked like the crest. The snow was soft, but the gully got a bit narrow with a moat to my right and basically in my path if I slid down the hill. Dani and Jasper had prudently stopped a bit lower and were watching me. The next picture shows our highpoint for the day.
I made it just past the narrow spot of the snow. Unfortunately we left our ice axes at home.
I made it just past the narrow spot of the snow. Unfortunately we left our ice axes at home.
I guess we'll have to go back sometime after the some snow melts. Views from here included Mt. Pugh and Sloan Peak.
Mt. Pugh
Mt. Pugh
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
The way down went much quicker than the way up (big surprise). Jasper stopped again to cool off on the snow.
What will he do when all the snow melts?
What will he do when all the snow melts?
I saw some flowers that looked like big asparagus spears shoved in the ground. Are they avalanche lily? Somebody (or somebodies) here will know.
They look like asparagus spears
They look like asparagus spears

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 7:29 pm 
Geo, nice pics! The keys to the gate are obtained through the Monte Cristo Preservation association. There are in-holders back in there, and they have an easement through the FS lands. The road and townsite and campground is maintained by both the Preservation association and the FS. The things poking up are hellibore. Elvis' lovely hellibore pics here.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 12:56 am 
This is absurb. Today I essentially turned around at the same point you guys did . I nearly made it to the top, but just when I was about to summon the vigor to make the last movement upward, I slipped down further. . .I knew the towel had to be thrown in at that point.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 1:59 am 
Gothic is one place I would really, really like to go ... maybe this fall with a little less snow.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 11:08 am 
I am hoping that my legs recover from yesterday relatively soon. Some photos from the record-heat trip.
gothic6
gothic6
GothicBasin2
GothicBasin2
gothic12
gothic12
gothic8
gothic8
gothic7
gothic7

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 11:17 am 
Thanks for sharing..those pics are amazing biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 11:18 am 
Nice shots as usual Treb. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 12:11 pm 

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 1:50 pm 
Trevinski wrote:
I am hoping that my legs recover from yesterday relatively soon. Some photos from the record-heat trip.
Thanks for ruining my perfectly adequate trip report with your beautiful photos!
2drx wrote:
I probably wasn't your yahoo, but that's not to say I'm not one. Here's a picture of the creek crossing
No, my yahoos drove a red truck with a canopy. They were probably nice people too. At the time I wasn't aware that ordinary people could obtain keys to the gate. I am probably too cheap to ever pay the fees to get myself one of those keys. Plus the road walk wasn't that bad

Knows literally nothing
Mike50

Mike50
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 10:50 am 
I think I was the Yahoo who was driving. I hope you had a great day. My son and I hiked up 76 gulch and got close to the Comet mine and also stopped because of snow.

Mike50

Mike50
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 10:52 am 
Yep. That was definitly me then. Mines the red truck.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 11:19 am 
Mike- We did have a good day. We will probably make another go at Gothic Basin as an overnighter later in the year. Pictures I have seen from there look really nice. And just for clarification, I was using yahoo in the nicest way possible. I was really just jealous that I had to walk. smile.gif

Knows literally nothing
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 4:50 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Seemed like a late start to me (~9:30 when they left the trailhead)
I happened to leave at roughly 2:30 p.m. that day devilsmile.gif . Sorry about the appendage of my images. Using another's report suited the general laziness at the time.