Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grand Coulee meanderings, 6/14-6/20, with pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 2:59 pm 
So, a gaggle of us headed over to Grand Coulee for some R & R last week, with the idea of setting up base camp at Steamboat Rock State Park and doing some exploring. Some of us had boats and intended to do some walleye fishing; others had kayaks, bicycles, and kids, as well as some dogs and miscellany, so it was going to be a sort of free-for-all as far as activities. But first, we had to get there... In preparation for the trip, I took my truck in the Tuesday before to have the transmission serviced at Aamco. When I went back to pick it up, they told me the bad news: my tranny was toast! A lot of metal in the pan, wear on the torque converter, etc. They could fix it in 2 days for $1600.00. Ouch! But... I know a mechanic, and a really good one, who is married to my niece. Rob said “Whatever you do, don’t let Aamco work on your truck. They tell you $1600 but it’ll end up costing you 3 grand in the end. I can fix it for about the same amount, but with a heavy-duty rebuild, by Saturday.” So I told him that would be fine. Saturday came and went; no truck. The guy who does the rebuilds was too busy to get it done, but would have it to Rob on Sunday to put it back in, so I could have my truck Monday. We were leaving Wednesday. On Monday I hadn’t heard anything, so I called Rob. He was picking up the transmission in Auburn Tuesday morning, and hoped I could have my truck back Tuesday afternoon. This cuts it pretty close, and Mrs. Polecat is panicking and nearly in tears by now, but I try to assure her everything will be OK. On Tuesday I call Rob again; he is now in Auburn helping the guy rebuild the tranny! Rob finally left Auburn at about 3:00, heading for Marysville, so by the time he is actually installing the transmission it’s after 6:00. At about 11:00 Tuesday night, Rob and my brother-in-law Don get the transmission in and my truck put back together, except that they found an oil leak which needed fixed, and while they were replacing the gasket they discovered that it also was connected to the water line and they had to drain my radiator to fix it. My niece went to Wal-Mart at about midnight for anti-freeze, and after test driving a bit, Don and Rob dropped my truck off where I work in Marysville at about 2:00 am on the day we are supposed to leave! Mrs. P and I picked up the truck at 6:00 am, had it loaded and the trailer hooked up by 9:00, and were headed up the pass, praying that there wouldn’t be any problems. Thankfully, there weren’t, and the truck has run great ever since, but I haven’t gotten the bill yet! We got to camp about 2:30, set up, and headed down past Electric City to Summer Falls. A canal from Banks Lake goes through a hydroelectric facility, then over a cliff into Billy Clapp Lake. Summer Falls used to be a State Park, but is now a recreation and picnic area operated by the Bureau of Reclamation. At one time an unofficial trail led to the falls, and you could walk behind it, but a few years back some tourists fell off the cliff and died, so the trail is barbwired and closed now.
Summer Falls
Summer Falls
Thursday we slept in, then got up and waited for the rest of our group to show up. Some of the guys went fishing in the morning, but then the wind picked up and they came in. They had a little luck; altogether our group caught about 15 walleye over 18” long, as well as a few bass and perch.
Don's walleye
Don's walleye
The Mrs. and I rode our mountain bikes into the some of the miles of trail around the park, seeing numerous deer, black vultures, bald eagles and a myriad of songbirds, along with the crows and gulls that proliferate around the convenient food source (careless campers). As Rob was showing up, we played a prank on him: Don and I raised the hood of my truck, scattered tools and beer bottles around, and lay down under the truck when they pulled in. They panicked when they saw our little scene, but managed to find a little humor in it later! Friday was a kayaking day; we got an early start and hit the water. Lots of huge carp in the reeds along the shoreline, but as we headed over to Lover’s Lane we picked up a 25 knot headwind, giving us all a good workout.
Kayaking Banks Lake
Kayaking Banks Lake
Later we hit the beach to take the kids swimming, and I had a weird allergic reaction to something. I have never been allergic to anything but I knew what it was immediately. I got hot all over, with red blotches. I got a Benadryl from one of the group and spent the rest of the day semi-comatose, then played music and sang around the fire until about 11:00. The wind was blowing so hard no one could hear us, so no complaints. Saturday morning I led a group up Steamboat Rock. If you ever get over that way, this is a great little jaunt, and can easily be paired up with Northrup Canyon on the same day. The first section is a scramble in loose rock, but after that it becomes more of just an uphill walk. My group ranged in age from an 8 year old boy to my 58 year old sister, all of whom made it to the top, except for a black dog named Tess who overheated and had to sit in the shade for a while. The views from the top are astounding, looking out over Banks Lake and the Coulee. It was pretty hot, but there were nice breezes. There are several miles of trail on top of the rock; we went to the south for views of the park and lake, and then headed back down. A few of the group were a bit tentative going don the steep part, but we arrived back at camp with no problem, about 3 miles total with 800 feet elevation gain.
Dirk and Rob on Steamboat Rock
Dirk and Rob on Steamboat Rock
Coming down Steamboat Rock
Coming down Steamboat Rock
Later that night we all headed to the dam for the laser show, which is pretty cool if you’re 10, but otherwise looks a little dated. Maybe if you smoked some locoweed and listened to Pink Floyd... My great-nephews had fun, though!
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
Sunday the wife and I hiked Northrup Canyon with my sister Bev, her dog Annie and my 33 year old niece, Cathleen, who has Downs Syndrome. It was absolutely beautiful, nice and sunny with a light breeze. Plenty of green in the valley still, with a lot of wildflowers still blooming. Owls were hooting all over, echoing down the canyon walls. Cathleen’s short legs slow her down a lot for hiking, but she’s always game to go on a hike with Uncle Joe, even though she complains the whole trip. We stopped and explored around the old homestead, and I headed up the trail toward the lake for a bit, but Cathleen wanted to get back so we turned around there. I highly recommend this fairly short and easy hike! On the way back we ran into a family of 6, but they were the only people we saw out there. A few skeeters but no snakes on the trail.
Northrup Wagon Road
Northrup Wagon Road
Annie Dog at Northrup homestead
Annie Dog at Northrup homestead
A bunch of us took boats out to view the sunset that evening. Monday was a water day, spent kayaking and lounging on a nice sand beach in the shade of some large cottonwoods. Don took Cathleen fishing, and she landed a nice bass, which she and Bev had for dinner. She was so excited she almost tipped the boat over!
Cathleen's bass
Cathleen's bass
Rob tries his hand at kayaking
Rob tries his hand at kayaking
Tuesday we headed back, and with the exception of some warm brakes on the Orondo hill we had no problems, thank God. It was a very relaxing, fun-filled week. I think I lost about 5 pounds from all the activities, or it might have been all blood loss because of the mosquitoes. Got a little sunburned, too. All in all, a wonderful time was had by all. Thank you for your patience and stamina in reading this tale.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
satyrium1975

satyrium1975
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 9:23 pm 
Thanks for the trip report, Polecat! I've driven past Coulee hundreds of time in my life, going from eastern WA to western WA and back to visit family. I've never done more than stop along the road on a high point and look back at the vista the dam makes, however, and the valley surrounding it. Never tried a hike there, just gazed longingly at the basalt formations along the way, dreaming in geology text, dying to take a closer look. I never have time though, as I'm in the midst of a trip through, and trying to make good time. I think you may have given me the push I needed to get out of the car and wander a bit next time I drive to see family! They can wait, right? If they really love me! Thanks again!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 9:46 pm 
Looks like a nice vacation! I'm surprised it's still green there. I've never wandered the whole Rock, I usually go to the right & look down on the Punchbowl area. There's usually a herd of deer hanging around up there, too. How hot was it?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 10:38 pm 
FYI - Summer Falls, not Sunday Falls (that's at Monte Cristo).

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:25 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
FYI - Summer Falls, not Sunday Falls (that's at Monte Cristo).
It's the heat gettin' to me! I edited it so I don't look so dang stupid. Temperatures ranged from the upper seventies to low eighties, mid-fifties at night. Very comfortable, especially with the "breeze".

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 8:06 am 
Wow, 80s? That's downright balmy for Grand Coulee in late June! You lucky dog!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting