Forum Index > Trip Reports > Monte Mines
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm 
The day was Thursday the 29th, mild temps. The new key to the gate worked just fine so we made our way to the crossing. Expecting high water from snow melt it was an easy crossing. We parked at he town site and geared up, oh it was getting hot now, 1:20. There was 1 town host relaxing in the shade next to a cabin. We made small talk and he told me he had hiked to Silver Lake that morning but there's still allot of snow and the lake is froze still. We headed off for the Justice mine via the trial this time. Last year I went up the Tailing pile in the rain, no fun. My son was along so it was the easy way in. Just before the mine we could see a black hole across the way on Mystery hill. I've never seen this one so we made plans to look for it after the Justice adventure.
If you've never been here you come over the top of the water fall smack dab infront of the mine adit. It was blowing cold air at a strong breeze. I had brought a sweat shirt but Jr. didn't and I know he was in for a frosty visit. We got ready and in we went.
Today we I made sure that we packed rubber boots as I wanted to explore 2 tunnels off the 2Drx site. I had his report map in hand, http://2drx.com/2004/Justice/MineSketchMap.shtml. We took the first right and then the first left which took us to note #1 (F). This tunnel has some water/gook to tromp though in the begging. It bends to the right and pinches out about 50 feet. So we zip out and down the next left. This is the one that has had me drooling.. Note # 2 (I). It's deep in the front and scary shoring falling down but we make it past that with out a problem. This tunnel does go in about 2-300 feet in a zig zag pattern. In the middle there's a ore shoot and it's full of ore. There is allot of water coming in every ware so it's noise city. We stopped and could hear rocks falling in from above and that about made our skin crawl.
We make a fast trek to the the back and touch the wall, that's what we do and start back out. We come to the water again and it looks like it needs a picture so I set up the camera and shoot. This has to be my best in mine shot yet..
We make it out of this scary tunnel and work our way in deeper. The map is great thing to have if you haven't been in there. We had to exit as my some was froze, wow we were in there 40 minutes that was fast. So down the tailing pile we go but not fast. We were looking for rocks and there's a bazillion. This is getting long so I must end it.. We head for the falls.
and at the base we take a right for the hill to find that black hole.
Gads it was hot on them rocks but we make the mine and what do you know, there's more than one hole to see. We tooks some time to cool off in there. Looking back to the justice mine.
On the way down the kid finds some stuff. Aluminum block 4 cylinder engine and some bull wheels..
It was great day to out. Monte has a ton of stuff to do and see if you have the nerve.. dizzy.gif Oh, and thanks to Mr. 2Drx for all his mine ifno.. up.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:05 pm 
Old mines are very cool to explore! up.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-