Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squire Creek Pass via Eight Mile Trail - Sat. 7/1/2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Monroe hikers

Monroe hikers
PostSat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 pm 
A six mile triumph, this trail has everything -- from loads of rocks, roots, branch stubs and mud, multiple stream crossings seeming preferable -- to tiger lilies, columbine, marsh flowers and blooming heather. Did I mention steep? 2400 ft. in 3 miles, and in my staggering 2.5 hours up. We almost turned back at altitude 3280 ft. but our leader's patience, giving me more rests, meant we got up there. A lovely enchanting spot, Squire Creek Pass. Lots of rock slab with cairns on it showing the trail direction. A small post kiosk tells about mountain goats and solicits volunteer data reports from any who sight them. We didn't. We enjoyed a stunning view of Three Fingers, other closer peaks, and the distant vista of the top of Glacier Peak. Many wildflowers are out and we fully enjoyed thm. Also were several striking rock faces, one used by very accomplished climbers, two of whom were resting when we returned. Enroute up we met a guy coming down with lovely dog Sadie -- did we meet "Sadie's Driver"? He gave us good data and went on his way, having already made the pass and half back down by mid morning. Two climbers passed us going up, and two hikers met us going down -- only 7 people seen , on a Fourth weekend holiday. We sure had the pass to ourselves the near hour of pleasure we had there. A marvelous celebration.
Wilderness Sign
Wilderness Sign
Climbers Rock
1 label
Climbers Rock
Tiger Lily
Tiger Lily
Slab Fall
Slab Fall
Three Fingers
Three Fingers
Snow field
Snow field

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jul 01, 2006 9:34 pm 
Holy crap, I think they are on 'Dirt Circus.' I was co-first ascendent on that. hockeygrin.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 pm 
Nope - you saw an imitation Sadie's Driver! We were hiking Mt. Sawyer and Fisher Lake yesterday. The trail chauffer isn't male. Cool pics and report. Thanks. s.d.
Summit Sadie bags another one - Driver joins her
Summit Sadie bags another one - Driver joins her

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!