Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thunder & Lightning!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 10:03 am 
This isn't a real trip report, just a cool story about a storm. Rich and I wanted to do an easy trip yesterday; I had been out a couple times over the weekend, and so had he. I always liked the name of “Swimming Deer Lake,” so we decided to check that out. We didn’t get to that lake, but rather got stuck at Josephine. We had heard thunder rumbling in the distance, and that was cool. Just as we arrived at the junction of the trail to Josephine and the PCT, a thunderstorm rolled in near the lake. Intrigued, we perched atop a cliff above the lake and watched the roiling clouds, and listened to the thunder booms. We decided to go down to Josephine. Gorgeous forest. Wow. Just as we arrived at the lake and crossed the mighty Icicle Creek headwaters, it suddenly began raining pigs & chickens. Thunder rumbled, then rolled, then was soon directly overhead. The wind kicked up, and the hail began to hammer us. It hurt, too. Lightning was all around, and we were a little worried about it, but we figured what the hell, there’s not much we can do about it. Standing at the lake shore with ice axes and trekking poles sticking out of our packs, we guessed wasn’t the smartest thing to do, so we retreated to the trees and took off our packs. It wasn’t until I saw a bolt of lightning dive into the lake that I got more than a little worried. THis was my second experience with an intense lightning storm, and lemme tellya, you feel pretty helpless out there exposed to the power of Nature. Rich pointed out that our hair wasn't sticking up, but mine was plastered down with 2 days worth of bug dope and sunscreen anyway, so it wouldn't stand up no matter what. We still weren’t sure about what to do, so we did what came naturally when faced with certain disaster - we foraged around in our packs and found sumpin’ to eat. So we stood under the trees and ate, listening to and watching the wonderful spectacle of the storm. After it was over, we headed out, thunder serenading us the whole way back to the trailhead. God, the rain smelled good! There’s nothing else like the fragrance of the mountains after a rainstorm! The flower show was beautiful; in another week it’ll be stupendous! Patches of snow on trail, mostly solid, but in the next week, snow bridges will be weakening. Will post pics later; Rich probably has pics available now. Great trip, surprisingly gorgeous trail, right out of the ski area. I truly wasn’t expecting such a pretty set of lakes (Susan Jane and Josephine).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 7:25 pm 
Well my misty photos didn't turn out very good, so I'll spare you that. Here are some others I took though:
Josephine tarn reflection
Josephine tarn reflection
Josephine hellibore art2
Josephine hellibore art2
Josephine hellibore art
Josephine hellibore art
Ice in tarn
Ice in tarn
Columbine
Columbine

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 9:33 pm 
I'll add the trail stats too: Trail: Pacific Crest Trail #2000 Area: Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Stevens Pass Access: Stevens Pass Ski Resort, south side of US 2 Length: 4 miles to Lake Josephine Elevation gain: 1470 ft in, 860 ft out Trailhead elevation: 4070 ft The high point is the King-Chelan County Line on the ridge between Coyboy Mtn and Big Chief Mtn, about 1000 ft of gain in the first 1.5 miles. From here the trail drops about 500 ft in the next half mile. Then it's up to the ridge above Jospephine and down again to the lake. Here are some pic's. Flowers first:
Pink Mountain Heather - Phyllodoce empetriformis
Pink Mountain Heather - Phyllodoce empetriformis
Showy Jacob's Ladder - Polemonium pulcherrimum
Showy Jacob's Ladder - Polemonium pulcherrimum
Spreading Phlox - Phlox diffusa
Spreading Phlox - Phlox diffusa
Glacier Lily - Erythronium grandiflorum
Glacier Lily - Erythronium grandiflorum
Pretty maids all of a row
Pretty maids all of a row
Sitka Valerian - Valeriana sitchensis
Sitka Valerian - Valeriana sitchensis
Early Blue Violet - Viola adunca
Early Blue Violet - Viola adunca
Tall Bluebell - Mertensia paniculata
Tall Bluebell - Mertensia paniculata
Cowboy Mtn from PCT:
Cowboy Mountain from PCT
Cowboy Mountain from PCT
Entering the Wilderness (finally):
The PCT takes its time entering the wilderness south of Stevens Pass
The PCT takes its time entering the wilderness south of Stevens Pass
Many, many patches of snow on the PCT, some fairly steep:
One of many snow banks athwart the PCT
One of many snow banks athwart the PCT
Lake Susan Jane area:
Lake Susan Jane
Lake Susan Jane
Tarn above Lake Susan Jane
Tarn above Lake Susan Jane
Views of Lake Josephine:
Lake Josephine
Lake Josephine
Lake Josephine
Lake Josephine
Lake Josephine
Lake Josephine
Scenes in the mist on the way out:
Tarn above Lake Josephine - mist and reflections
Tarn above Lake Josephine - mist and reflections
Tarn above Lake Josephine in the mist
Tarn above Lake Josephine in the mist
Ripples from raindrops in a tarn
Ripples from raindrops in a tarn
Tarn above Lake Susan Jane in the mist
Tarn above Lake Susan Jane in the mist
Mist rolling in from the west behind Cowboy Mtn
Mist rolling in from the west behind Cowboy Mtn

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 9:41 pm 
Those pictures have a great 'feeling' to them. I need a new camera, what do you use for your trips?

Ebrace life!
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 pm 
Quark has a much better camera (and much better photography skills) than me. I use a Pentax Optio33WR, which is small, light-weight, water-resistant, and not too difficult for an inept person to operate.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 9:55 pm 
Thanks. I would like a higher end digital SLR of course( and the skills to match), but for now I just need a decent, small, and light weight point and shoot for most trips. I like to keep it in my pocket most of the time and am looking into a hip belt pouch for my pack as a alternative storage place.

Ebrace life!
treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 10:15 pm 
Thanks Quark and Rich, for that great trail report and pics. What a nice July 4th surprise for mom nature to stage a fireworks show of her own just for you! agree.gif

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostFri Jul 07, 2006 9:07 am 
Great report, amazing pics! Thanks for sharing, looks simply beautiful!