Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little Greider Peak, 4602', 522P, USGS Mount Stickney
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred_Beavon

Fred_Beavon
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:31 am 
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 Thanks, Justus S., for the Little Greider Peak trip report post of July 19, without which it would've never have occured to me to climb. You made it sound easy. My first attempt from Big Greider Lake was thrawted by impenetrable brush. On returning to the lake, I came upon a dry (initially) creekbed right near the lake that is an alternate route up. At least it avoided the thick brush that was on its immediate sides. It eventually became too steep to follow and I exited left into pretty thick brush. Eventually, I reached the small boulder field right below the ridge and followed your route on up. On descending, I should've taken more care trying to refind that creekbed. I must've crossed it too high up without realizing it. Instead of going back north to find it, I kept descending south looking for it, getting into the worst brush ever experienced on a descent. Due to the brush, I couldn't see what I was stepping on all the way down to the lake, resulting in many trips, spills and falls. Worse, I was in the hot sun with many bugs and mosquitoes swarming around me. So it was a tradeoff, take the time to take care and get bitten or rush recklessly down and get all beaten up. Two women camping at the lake were still there and asked me if I was going to go swimming. I hadn't considered it, but the thought intrigued me. After pointing to a distant rock along the shore that they had swum to, I thought, "shoot, if they can do it, I can do it". Slowly easing myself into the cold water, I got up to my waist before chickening out. Actually, it was warm enough, that I never even shivered, even after getting back out of the water. At least the water sure felt good on my scratched up legs. Now I wished I'd taken the plunge and gone swimming. What a wimp! Seven hours round trip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 4:20 am 
I only wish I had half your experience.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 4:26 am 
Neat report Fred. Brush is the bane of hiking but the worst stuff I ever saw is in Yolo county California.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160