Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Question for runners out there
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostTue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 pm 
what others have said. is your local store doing good analysis? if not, go elsehwere-take a day trip to super jock & jill, or foot zone, or shoes & feet (not really a running store but they are pretty good & have a store in Tacoma & one in Federal Way). i don't run anymore, but after years of trying different shoes ended up with Brooks Addiction. Now I can go into any store, say 'give me a brooks addiction in 11.5', and get a good fitting shoe. The Brooks Adreneline would kill me, as it has a totally different shape. these are what i wear every day, changing up several pair (new clean ones, older dirty ones (which get used for hiking), beater ones (gardening or the like)). i also wear downunder insoles --a total pain to find (shoes & feet was the one place in seattle i knew carried them, i called them when i moved to CA to find another place) but they fit my feet better than any others. your milage may vary.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 8:10 am 
I maybe stupidly didn't go back to the store, but as the sore spot keeps showing up in a different place (above right ankle, outside leg / above left ankle, inside leg) I'm starting to wonder if it's my imagination, or if it's my form. I notice too that it never hurts when I'm running, but only when I stop to walk (we're doing the Couch to 5K running program, so we run for a couple minutes, walk for a minute, etc. -- it's the walking portion that hurts my leg). Once I start running again, it feels just fine. And, it used to hurt for an hour or so after I got home, but not so much anymore. I wonder if it was just aches & pains of a beginning runner??? It's definitely better now than it was before, and the more time I spend running as opposed to the run/walk routine, the better it feels. I can also actually feel my foot now, how I land with my right foot on the outside edge of my heel and roll my foot in. This is old habit - I have a bunion issue (long story - basically not the bunion but the way my bones grow, they are pinching nerves where my small bunion is, and over the years I've learned to not let that part of my foot move much... yes, I have orthotics and a podiatrist and had PT). The shoes I got are stability shoes and are supposed to help with this rolling the foot issue I've got. The shoes themselves are very comfortable to wear & don't hurt my feet at all - just above my ankles. But, they seem to be improving. And better yet, my running is improving, and I'm still LOVING it. Even more so since Sarbar gave me the tip on a jogging stroller, so my son goes with me. He has his own stop watch to time me, and when I stop running, he yells out "you can do it, mom!". What more motivation do I need? up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 8:35 am 
I know how this is going to sound, but if you paid less than say 60-70 dollars for the shoes you shouldnt be running in them! Really good shoes are going to run from 80-125 dollars. You just cant get around it. Outside of a freak sale someplace, that's just the way things are these days. Get yourself to Super Jock and Jill in Greenlake and let them check you out and see what kind of running style you have. If you screw around with these crappy shoes all youre going to do it hurt yourself and negatively effect the mindset you need to keep running. Super Jock and Jill 7210 E Green Lake Dr N Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 522-7711

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 am 
Thanks for the advice, but I've done that. South Sound Running is as good a store as the one in Seattle, and had me wear many pairs of shoes, had me run in many pairs of shoes while they watched me (one guy even squatted way down and got a good look at how my feet were hitting the ground). And, I paid a hefty sum for these shoes -- $100. I'm confident the folks at the running store did me a great service, and that I have great shoes (my 2nd pair -- took the first ones back). And, this pain I have in my leg above my ankle is getting better. Not great, but improving, which leads me to believe it's me, not the shoes. ??

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 3:48 pm 
Have you tried running with and without your orthotics in your new shoes? I know we've been over this subject a dozen or so times, but it just might work. agree.gif

Ike

Ike
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 5:04 pm 
Listen to Captain Jack and everyone else who told you that those are not the right shoes for you. I have been running since the 60's. I started in Junior high school. I am now 61. Believe me when I tell you that if it hurts, there is something wrong. Pain is the body's way of saying stop. I have had my fair share of running injuries, almost always due to worn out shoes. I use New Balance 999. (that model number has changed frequently over the years, I think they are now 992, or 991) They are heavy duty shoes for people who over pronate badly. However, that is not a recommendation for you. You need to go to a running store where they can fit you properly. The one in Green Lake has a good reputation. If you don't, and continue to run it will do more than hurt. You will injure yourself. That means no running until the injury heels. Things you should know. Only two or three of the shoe makers make wide or narrow sizes. If you have wide feet like me (EEE) you have to go with New Balance or Asics. Nike, Aididas, Reebok all make great shoes but not in wide or narrow widths. Also. After you have run for about 20 minutes your feet swell about 1 size. SO you need a shoe with a size about 1 to 1 1/2 bigger than normal. That adjusts for the swell and for your socks. Speaking of socks, don't go buy cheap athletic socks at Wal-mart or K-mart. Buy good quality socks at your running store or a sporting goods store like Sports Authority. Your feet sweat and the socks move around and rub your feet and can be just as irritating as a bad shoe. The last thing is the toe of the shoe. Some of us have bigger toes than others and need a large toe box. Again, New Balance does well with this and so do some other makers. Nike and Adidas have rather narrow toe boxes. If you don't have room for your toes you'll get black toe. That's when your toe nail bumps against the inside of the shoe and eventually turns black. It is painful and eventually the toenail falls off. Also if you have a condition called Mortons Toe (one toe is longer than all the others including longer than your big toe) you need a spacious toe box. The most important piece of equipment for running is the shoe. Don't scrimp and buy cheap shoes. You can run in any old kind of shorts or shirts, but not any old kind of shoe. Once you have the right shoes it will feel comfortable and like you're running on a cloud. Keep on running! PS. My daughter had a devil of a time finding the right shoes until a really smart shoe guy said "why don't you try a men's shoe"? They fit perfectly and she has never looked back. So it doesn't have to be a "woman's shoe" It has to be a shoe that fits and feels comfortable when you are running or walking.

Peter Eikenberry "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" R. A. Heinlein
Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 8:47 pm 
Glorious running!!! biggrin.gif So as I said I have orthotics. What I didn't say was that since having my son I haven't worn them because for some reason after getting pregnant my feet haven't given me any problems. I can even wear thongs (on my feet... rolleyes.gif ), which I couldn't ever do before. I thought my foot issues were nearly gone. So I put my orthotics in my running shoes tonight. VOILA. No pain. I ran... oh how I ran!!! I tired out the dog! (of course she's a chocolate lab that looks like a tootsie roll so tiring her out isn't hard). up.gif I have another week left on the return policy for the shoes. I'll get in a few more runs before I decide to keep them. I really didn't think I'd ever need those darn orthotics again, but I'm glad I didn't get rid of them!!

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 8:26 am 
You are too much. rotf.gif Now make sure you get some nice socks like others have said. As my mileage has increased, so has my need for some better socks.