Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 am 
So what does this say about his win? Will it stand? Frankly this years race was semi ruined (for me) from the get go after all those other riders were disqualified before the race even started.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:36 am 
C'est la vie

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jb

jb
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:47 am 
If the B sample is also positive (higher than allowed T/E ratio), Landis will be disqualified from the stage at which the sample was taken (Stage 17, his epic ride to Morzine), and thus the TdF. Pereiro will get the win. Landis can appeal to the Court for Arbitration of Sport on the grounds that the test was carried out improperly, or that the methodology of the test is flawed. I'm not aware of anyone winning an appeal on a steroid case, although there are successful appeals of EPO tests on record. I agree with you BPJ. I'm sad to hear this, but not incredibly surprised. In fact, the doctors in the pro peloton are so good, I'm only surprised when they get caught. EDIT: speling erors

jb

jb
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 pm 
jb wrote:
That's my understanding as well. I think the process goes urine test (A sample) to determine the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio (6:1 is legal limit for males), followed by a blood test (B sample) to confirm. I've spent enough time doing protein chemistry to know that urine tests are notoriously fickle, and subject to all kinds of errors, especially in their initial handling (must be refrigerated as soon as possible). The B test is more accurate, generally speaking. I'm not sure of the exact testing procedure for T/E ratio, though, so my previous comments may be inaccurate. IMO, it is remarkably irresponsible for UCI to release A sample results before B sample results are confirmed.
A couple corrections for those interested. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) standard for a positive testosterone test is a 4:1 ratio T/E.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
C'est la vie
Considering the circumstances, c'est la pee seems more appropriate. embarassedlaugh.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
touron

touron
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 pm 
from The Australian
Quote:
THIS is no longer a viable sport. I don't think we can duck this conclusion. The news that Floyd Landis, the dramatic and brilliant winner of the Tour de France, was stoned out of his head on testosterone really is the final nail in the coffin. Professional cycling, of the stage-racing kind, has lost all credibility. This year's Tour began shortly after the Spanish drugs bust and the removal of the favourite, Jan Ullrich, by his team sponsor, T-Mobile.
It's not just about getting drugs out of cycling, baseball,... it's trying to relearn what sports are about. I don't want to see who has the best steroid recipe, or even who has the best nutritionist for that matter. I want to see a good race based on natural ability. How to we get back to the point where drug testing is no longer resorted to both in sport and the workplace? I'd rather see an athlete dine on steak and eggs the day before the race than on some powdered nutritional formula. Let's get back to normal. Let's get back to reality. So, is The Australian correct in that cycling has lost its credibility, or is it, rather, gaining credibility, or is it merely maintaining some modicum of credibility? uhh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 7:53 am 
I heard on the radio this morning, and I know nothing about this kind of stuff so if it's way off blame Bob, Spike & Joe from KZOK, but I heard that Landis had a drinking binge before the 17th or 18th stage, and got hammered on Jack Daniels, which apparently can raise testosterone levels. Who knows if that's really true, but there was a lot of discussion this morning about it.

jb

jb
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 8:03 am 
Here's fun reading: Also, here's the procedure used by WADA. I apologize for saying that B test is a blood test... it's not. Although, if B is positive, Landis might offer to take a blood test to show either abnormally high testosterone or abnormally low epitestosterone levels. Since the test is based on ratios, it's entirely possible that he has normal testosterone, and depressed epitestosterone. My guess: B comes back positive, he goes to court, wins, gets reinstated.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 1:00 pm 
I was willing to cut him some slack until I started hearing all the lame excuses his people are coming up with for the positive result. There are a few reasons why a the first test could have shown up positive like a sample screw up or random machine error result, or perhaps even a purposely spiked or switched sample (if you are into conspiracies). From the press interview in Madrid, they were already telegraphing that the B sample was probably going to be positive. Talk about damage control spin. So which is it..he(a devout Mennonite) got really hammered and it screwed up his test results...highly unlikely! or that he's just a freak of nature with an unnaturally high testosterone and T/E ratio?...also unlikely. for shame!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Aug 06, 2006 8:35 pm 
I was hoping I was wrong and I'm very dissapointed to be right. frown.gif I don't think I'll bother to watch next year's TDF.

Honey Badger Don't Care!