Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cut throat Lakes 08-05-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
btspman

btspman
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 6:24 pm 
Hey All, This is my 1st post but I've been reading trail reports and looking at your great pictures for some time. Figured maybe I should come out of the shadows and become and active member of this great community! I hiked up to the Cut Throat Lakes on saturday. I was expecting it to be fairly secluded but to my suprise past at least a dozen people on the way up. In one area the trail passes through a small rock avalanche zone and as I looked ahead I saw a large raptor bird perched on one of the rocks. Well I thought this was just great and I took out my camera and started to slowly sneak ahead so I could grab a good picture of it. I got closer and closer and it didnt fly away. Well this is strange I thought. I took a few photos and ever so slowly inched myself towards it untill I realized it wasnt a bird after all. Just some balanced rocks.... yes I felt like an idiot.... Once at the top there were people everywhere I looked so I went off the trail just a bit till I found a quiet spot where I could eat huckleberries and nap to my hearts delight with no interuptions. On the way down I saw a tree that had obviously been ripped up by a bear (yet to see one yet). And as I soon passed it.. proceeded to roll my ankle. Whenever I wear sandles (as I was) I regret not wearing hiking boots and when I wear boots I regret not wearing sandles. Luckily I just happened to be within a few yards of some other hikers. They saw my mishap and came to see if I was alright. A little sore but everything seemed to be ok. So I continued my now limping hiking back out of the forest. thanks, Geoff On a side note- I havent found any ripe blueberries anytime lately. Just Huckleberries. Am I looking in the wrong spots or is it to early?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm 
Marion berries are coming in now, a little scronny 'cause we havent had any rain, blueberries will be coming soon, maybe in a month or so. C.J.

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 8:20 pm 
Thanks for the report. This is my all time favorite hike. I went a few years ago and got caught in a rainstorm. The clouds just poured over the hills and mountains and it seemed very enchanting. I was in awe. My dog and I got were drenched. There was a downpour all the way from the lakes to the trail-head. I've never appreciated my truck heater more. I will probably go again later this year. Thanks for posting the photos! I made one my screen saver. up.gif