Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Lakes 08/05/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
detekt

detekt
PostSat Aug 05, 2006 9:33 pm 
What a beautiful day! Went in via the "alternate" trail, which is steep and nasty but in generally good condition all the way to the lakes. It was nice and quiet when we first arrived with only a few folks around, but of course that didn't last long on a weekend like this.
rampartpano1
rampartpano1
rampart2
rampart2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am 
I like your pano detekt. Were you the coulpe I met on the trail in? Did alternate route also and camped at the lakes. Beautiful! up.gif I was just going to spend a relaxing morning around the lakes taking pictures but.... Left camp with just my camera around my neck. My feet took me to the summit of Alta. Glad I let them have there way. Skeeters bad. I had and arsenal of three types and use them all. Missed a spot on my right elbow and I'm paying for it now.
Alta & Rampart Lakes
Alta & Rampart Lakes
Rampart Reflection
Rampart Reflection

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
detekt

detekt
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 am 
Hi Oren. It was probably us that you met on the way in on Saturday- nice to meet you. You sure picked a nice spot to camp. I really hated to leave the area, it must have been an awesome night up there. Oh, I got bit by the skeeters as well. I hate them.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 2:58 pm 
I went up with some co-workers on Sunday for a quick dayhike. We saw Oren coming out and said hello. Alas, one member of our party wasn't doing too well with downhill and wasn't looking forward to the steep terrain we'd come in and so I offered to let them walk out the Rachel Lake trail (lucky number 1313) while I went back, picked up the car, and then drove around to meet them at the trailhead. (Note to self: Bring a map, even if you know intimately the area you're hiking through -- not all of your party may be so lucky.) So I described the route from the Ramparts to the T-intersection where the trail heads down to Rachel, and then sent them on their way. I hoofed it back to the car, drove out and was buying a 44oz. pop from the mini-mart when who should call but one of the members of my party. They'd had little luck finding the turnoff, getting waylaid by the network of social trails around the Ramparts area, and had ended up going back to the lakes to borrow someone else's map. As such, they were just starting down at 7pm. Yikes. I drove to the trailhead and hung out there listening to music, snacking, and sipping on my 44 ouncer. Fell asleep for a sec and woke at 8:20pm, noted the light was getting low and had the realization -- they're not going to make it out before nightfall and none of them have a flashlight. Crap. For that matter, *I* didn't have a flashlight...I looked through the car and couldn't find the flashlight I thought I kept with my emergency gear to no avail, and I already knew I'd left my headlamp in Tom's truck last weekend and it was securely stowed back in Issaquah. What to do? (Note to self: Any light source is better than no light source. But cell phone backlights aren't that great of a light source. Don't depend on them.) I drove down the road to the campsite near the waterfall and asked the nice family that had set up camp if they could spare a flashlight or two. They graciously loaned me two of them and I flew back up to the trailhead to strap on boots and pack. Left the car at 8:47pm and tore up the trail in the cool evening air. A little over an hour later I found them on the rooty mess that passes for a trail to Rachel, about halfway down to the valley floor. Distributed the flashlights and headed back. One member had bad blisters, an impacted toenail, and her knee was starting to lock up, and so the going was slow. I was really wishing I'd brought along my 2.5 layer jacket -- the cool night air and my wet t-shirt were really starting to suck the warmth out of me. (Note to self: When you're sitting there thinking, "Nah, there's no way I'll need that light, light, virtually weightless piece of equipment. It's been so hot recently and nothing could possibly go wrong on such a short trip," that is precisely the time you should bite the bullet and bring said light piece of equipment along.) Four hours later, we made it back to the car. Returned the flashlights with a thank you note and $10 for replacement batteries, and headed to North Bend for food at the 24-hour Drive Thru provided by the Golden Arches. I made it home at 4am and crashed by 4:30am. They reported getting into bed at 5:30am and 6am respectively. Long day.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 4:55 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
I went up with some co-workers on Sunday for a quick dayhike...
Holy Molly....I'm glad that turned out as well as it did! biggrin.gif That could have been alot worse if you hadn't acted quickly.... hairy.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 5:52 pm 
detekt wrote:
Hi Oren. It was probably us that you met on the way in on Saturday- nice to meet you.
Great to meet you also. I was a treat to run into Micheal also. Sorry to hear your trip went sour though. Glad everyone's okay.

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 pm 
grizzy86 wrote:
Holy Molly....I'm glad that turned out as well as it did! biggrin.gif That could have been alot worse if you hadn't acted quickly.... hairy.gif
From my perspective, it's too bad I didn't have a map to give them or walked with them to the intersection and sent them on their way... Either option probably would have given them an extra hour and a half to work with and they might have been able to get off the steep stuff and onto the flat early enough to be able to continue making their way down the valley. The trail is so poorly defined in that rooty section to pass safely without a good light source -- not only do you have to deal with a million little misguided stub trails, but there's just no good indication that large swaths of trail are really trail unless you can see the open ground on the other side of the rocky/rooty riverbed 30 feet away. Once you get to the riverbed, it's a different matter, however. I was able to walk -- pretty quickly actually -- with nothing but ambient light all the way down that valley. Meadows were painless, but even the stuff under tree cover was reasonably easy to follow without a flashlight.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short