Forum Index > Trip Reports > 8.06.06 Kendall Katwalk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancy

Nancy
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 3:25 pm 
We started hiking at 7:21. A group of trail runners soon passed us. I wish I had asked where they were headed, because we never saw them again. We met mostly family groups of backpackers returning to their cars, but were alone for most of the morning. The area right before the waterfall had been nicely brushed out and the waterfall was a mere trickle. And then we broke out of the trees, and by now I was on cruise control. Mt. Rainier and Adams were both out, and Red Mt. soon came into view. By the time I reached the Katwalk, I wanted to hike forever. My husband said it was like walking through a painting. We ate lunch in a grove of trees beyond Alaska Lake with great views of Alaska Mt. and Park Pass. We wanted to go on to our favorite lunch spot at the saddle overlooking Joe Lake, but needed to be back by 5 to let our beloved hiking bouvier, who is too old to hike, outside. We met lots of people lunching on the Katwalk. A fellow was descending the trail from Kendall Peak and said there were great views up there. So we have a new hike for another day. A man was pumping water right in the middle of the stream beyond the avalanche swath. Maybe it was just as well Sparky stayed home. She always loved to get upstream when you filled your water bottle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 4:57 pm 
I'm sure that you passed me too! I was out of the lot at 5:30 AM and back from Joe Lake by 1PM... see my report here too (Kendall Katwalk trail (PCT))........

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 pm 
Check trip reports here for Kendal Peak when you have a chance. I'd snag the one I'm thinking of if it wurnt so la zzz.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."